Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
Reload this Page >

MAS Epoxy laminating resins review

Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

MAS Epoxy laminating resins review

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 09:13 PM
Walter D
My Feedback: (16)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default MAS Epoxy laminating resins review

Had to build the wheelpants fairings that cover the landing gear on a tail dragger scratchbuilt project and I have used West and other, and also had been using Zpoxy for a while and always found it to be a bit too thick to spread properly, thus using some solvent to dilute it a bit was necessary (making it slightly rubbery), just by chance I was reading of someone that had used MAS epoxy resin for laminating and I went to one of my local suppliers and they did have this brand in stock, it was the only one they had actually, so I went ahead and purchased a quart of the resin and 16 oz of the hardener (48 oz total) at a cost of $ 41,98 for both bottles. Being a mix ratio of 2 parts resin to 1 part hardener, is what I liked best, as it is very easy to control, the mix was of the perfect consistency, very easy to brush on, great wetting properties, mixing about 1 oz at the time gave me about 30 minutes working time or slightly less, it would be longer on a colder climate, after the layup dried overnight, the resin had cured very well, and sanded with ease, almost no pinholes were noticed, great resin to work with, has no VOC to worry about (although it's always smart to use rubber gloves and a mask when working with these chemicals), a lot cheaper than West Systems. A thumbs up! a very good epoxy resin to be used for wet layup. They have another resin called Flag that is a little thicker and is better when doing fillets and compunded surfaces and stuff, that works even better when mixed with fillers, the hardeners come in slow, medium and fast cure, good product, I liked it better than other good resins out there. The website is: http://composite.about.com/gi/dynami...epoxies.com%2F, give it a try, you'll like it!
Old 08-07-2006, 01:14 AM
CHARLES WINTER

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: MAS Epoxy laminating resins review

Hi Walter, Thanks for the information on MAS epoxies. I manufacture R/C racing props plus special projects for NASA and other organizations. I use many different companies resins and am always looking for someyhing new. I will call MAS and speak to one of their Tech. Reps with questions about their resins and what I am looking for.
Thanks, Chuck Winter
Old 08-07-2006, 07:48 AM
Walter D
My Feedback: (16)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: MAS Epoxy laminating resins review

You're welcome, hope it turns out to be a good alternative for you, nothing greater than finding a better mouse trap!