Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
Reload this Page >

Painting over new wood fuse?

Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Painting over new wood fuse?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 06:45 PM
wlcornelius

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting over new wood fuse?

I have my new Black Magic V2 fuse from customairframes.com completed with carbom fiber cowel,belly pan an canopy an balsa. I want to paint it and put a clear coat on it like a car has on it. . Mayby with some airbrushing in the middle.How do I prep the wood an carbon to seal or what ever..Help.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:17 PM
saramos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Painting over new wood fuse?

The most common method of prepairing a sheeted model for painting is to use .5 oz or .75 oz fiberglass cloth and resin. The most common resins are epoxy, polyester (fiberglassing) resin, or waterbased polyurethane. I listed these in order of weight and hardness. Do some searching, and you can find descriptions of the process for using these techniques. To start, here are a couple of links.

http://www.airfieldmodels.com/index.htm
http://www.arts-hobby.com/fiberglassing.htm

Scott

Old 08-10-2006, 05:27 AM
charlieoneseven

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Painting over new wood fuse?

I prefer zpoxy now but have heard of CA used over the same cloth to bond it before paint. Automotive primer, bondo and spot putty are all fair game to get your fuse ready for color. Mixed paint types usually means clearing with epoxy paint. Klass Kote has a complete epoxy system primer, color and clear that I have had good results with.