Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
Reload this Page >

Book, "Building With Foam"

Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Book, "Building With Foam"

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 12:01 PM
yankee samurai
My Feedback: (175)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Book, "Building With Foam"

There is a book out entitled "Building With Foam:, does anyone have it? Is it worth buying? Who sells it? Any information would be much appreciated.[8D]
Old 10-24-2006, 02:32 PM
TOMMYSTA
My Feedback: (15)

Default RE: Book, "Building With Foam"

I don't have the book but I know that there will be a DVD regarding building with foam coming out in the next couple months. The entire airframe, the fuse, wings and tail section will be built from foam and sheeted. The DVD will cover how to design from a simple 3 view with cross sections of the fuselage, making templates, cutiing the foam parts and assembling them. it will also cover making a fiberglass cowl, vacuum forming a canopy and sheeting the foam surfaces and constructing the inner fuselage structure/bulkheads.

Tom
Old 10-24-2006, 02:36 PM
akcaj

Tom, that sounds good, can u give us any directions as to where to check on that DVD ???
Old 10-24-2006, 02:49 PM
T_om

The book is by Keith Sparks, and it is well worth the price. Keith did not invent the process, it has been around since rigid foam insulation was invented, but he put together a very nicely structured book that will guide just about anyone to success using his methods.

He is a regular poster on RC Groups and has a great B-25 build thread going on (with free cutting templates and plans) over there at present in the "Scale" forum. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=571313

He posts under the username "Sparks" and will sell you the book directly if you contact him. He might make a couple of bucks more per sale that way and he deserves to get it.

Tom
Old 10-24-2006, 03:30 PM
TOMMYSTA
My Feedback: (15)

RIght now I know the DVD is in the early taping stages. Planning and format is pretty much done. I can tell you that the subject for the design and build is a 90" wingspan Grumman Hellcat. It's being done on a part time basis, that's why it will take a good 2 months to do all the filming. But it will be professionally edited and produced.

I would just keep checking back here and in the warbird forum for pics and snips of video as time progresses.

Tom
Old 10-25-2006, 08:50 PM
kas4j

I have the book. If you are wanting to get into building with foam, it is a very good resource. It outlines very simple ways of cutting sanding and shaping from start to finish without a lot high priced tools. Most of the tools are made from common items found around your home or hardware stores. It is handy to have for a quick reference guide