Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Source for foam?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 09:19 AM
Alabama Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Source for foam?

Does anyone have a source for 1 lb virgin foam to cut wing cores. Any success in getting
Lowe's or Home Depot type of store to order some? My local supplier closed down
and I have not been able to find any good foam. Can get the junk that has regrind in
it but that is a waste of time. I have found a hobby supplier or 2 that carries it but the
cost to ship is more expensive than the foam itself.

Old 11-25-2006, 09:44 AM
Deadstik
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Source for foam?

Alabama,

I have just run into this MAJOR problem myself about 6 months ago. My supplier decided not to carry any styrofoam products and was not going to reconsider. I found a foam manufacturing plant not too far from me in Martinsville, VA and I found 2 distributors in Statesville, NC that would sell to me. The one foam distributor in Durham, NC (who is HUGE) would NOT sell me less that $2500 worth of product!! That's right, $2500 !! After relating the fact that one day I MIGHT need that much, I gave them my opinion of their company and drove to Statesville. Foam shouldn't be as expensive as it is, but I guess it is a supply/demand thing.

One thing you can watch for is stucco type building construction. They are using closed cell foam on some of the new construction but although I stop at EVERY site to see what they have, only one had 1LB per Cubic foot closed cell. Most of it is 3 to 6 lb per cubic foot stock... which is great for iceboxes, but not too good for foam wings.

There is a lot of info on the web about foam... but I only use 1 LB per cubic foot, expanded polystyrene foam made from virgin materians and is CLOSED CELL..... you'll find a huge difference in the types and strength of various materials.

First search for a local distributor but don't count on anything from Lowe's or Home Despot.... they just don't/won't carry it.

Whenever you do find a distributor, fill up your truck... because you will use the foam... so many cool things you can do with it.. but the best thing it does is FLY ....

Dan
Carolina Custom Aircraft
[email protected]
Old 11-25-2006, 10:38 AM
dreadnaut
My Feedback: (5)

I found a good source a couple of years ago. Foam Sales in Burbank CA. Seems the film buis. uses tons of the stuff. I bought a 2' x 4' x 8' block for $120. Three 2m pattern wings, two fuse plugs, two 30% Extra wings later I still have 3/4 of it left. I would offer to sell you some, but shipping to the east wouldn't be worth it. If any one out there in LA, San Diego or San Bernardino/Riverside is interested, we might be able to work something out.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:30 PM
charlieoneseven

I found some 48x48x4" rigid insulation sitting outside at a building supplier for $15 each. I bought 2 and they gave me 5 NC due to some discoloration and boot prints! Look around you'll be suprised what you'll find.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:06 AM
propbuster
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too check out all the const sites that are doing stucco! Also, I get a lot of foam for free from a local furniture store. The manufacturers from overseas use it in their packing. The sizes and densities vary but I just pick out what I need and leave the rest for the dumpster! The best thing is, it's Free!