Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

COMP ARF?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 08:06 AM
crfabbro
My Feedback: (56)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default COMP ARF?

Does anyone know what type of resin these planes are made with?
Old 12-16-2006, 08:10 AM
Ed Smith

Default RE: COMP ARF?

If they are made in China then probaby with polyester resin and half of the amount that should have been used for a correct resin to cloth ratio.

Ed S
Old 01-03-2007, 03:59 PM
SynergyPilot
My Feedback: (1)

Hi crfabbro1, they manufacture their composite models in Thailand and I believe that they use polyester resin. If they use to little or not is difficult to say. I have not experienced any problems with bad construction or use of glassfiber cloth / amount of resin.

rgds/Gunnar

ORIGINAL: crfabbro1

Does anyone know what type of resin these planes are made with?
Old 01-03-2007, 11:56 PM
dreadnaut
My Feedback: (5)

Went to China last year and learned a couple of things. First, all two-part resins are ''epoxy''. It may smell like polyester, look like polyester, and quack like poyester. It's epoxy.
If you want them to use the best materials, you import it to China.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:10 PM
SCALECRAFT
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you clarify that statement? Although there are many types of 2 part resins, this is the first time I've heard all are epoxy.

Thanks

steve
Old 01-05-2007, 12:16 PM
dreadnaut
My Feedback: (5)

No. Not all two part resins are epoxy, but the Chinese I dealt with called it that. The stuff they were using was clearly polyester, from the smell of it, but they called it epoxy.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:17 PM
scraper

What exactly is your problem with polyester? Is it because "everyone" else says its wrong to use it?
FWIW i have used nothing but polyester for all my molds and airframes, easy to use fast to cure, never had a problem!

As for what comp arf use im 90% sure its epoxy
Old 01-06-2007, 12:55 AM
blikseme300
My Feedback: (118)

Too many people seem to think that epoxy resin airframes are always lighter/stronger than polyester types. I have seen too many grossly overweight epoxy-based airframes to know better. No matter what resin type or glass/resin ratio you use, crashes are never survived unscathed. The type of resin is secondary, the type of cloth used along with the ratio cloth/resin is. I use the term cloth loosely. Kevlar, glass, carbon, etc.

Composite-ARF airframes are not comparable with any of the CMP planes out there. The construction/manufacture is mainly vacuum sandwich. A bit hard to mess up the cloth/resin ratio. The method that Comp-ARF uses is very effective in keeping the weight low and the structure strong and straight. Too many people judge the Comp-ARF planes without having any first-hand experience or knowledge of them. (My buddy, etc, does NOT count.)

In fact, the technique used by CMP and others is the same as many of the older generation of US-based manufacturers. Heavy, laid up in the mold.

Safe Flying!
Old 01-06-2007, 06:12 PM
sticks-RCU
My Feedback: (23)

My only complaint with polyester is the nice smell it puts off. I jsut finished repairing a 2.6 meter Comp-Arf Extra and used only epoxy resign, so far after 6 flights I haven't lost anything or developed any delamination.

Old 01-06-2007, 10:57 PM
SCALECRAFT

I say, try it and draw your own conclusions.

The Composite Arf method of manufacturing, if its the same as the Fiberclassics P-51D they also put out, is a very impressive method of construction with the Vac sandwhich high density foam spars (on wing only if i remember correctly from our FG P-51) . It however is very fragile and prone to hanger rash from light dings that do not "bounce back" as the free atmosphere epoxy layups of our all composite models years ago.

None of which were over weight if a little time was taken to spread the epoxy resin around and remove the excess.

You could even drop our models and they would just bounce around.

Steve
Old 01-06-2007, 11:09 PM
SCALECRAFT

Found a pic of our 64" spanTyphoon. All epoxy, as you see it 3 lbs. Let me say that this is not a mass produced Chinese model as CMP or KMP, these are our own models that we take the time to make light and strong for ourselves. They work very well and can take a few hits. My all composite 54" span F4U corsair has been ditched around six times and still minimal damage. Still flying.

Steve
Old 01-06-2007, 11:18 PM
SCALECRAFT

Pics not working