Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
Reload this Page >

Reshaping Prefabriacated Fiberglass Cowl

Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Reshaping Prefabriacated Fiberglass Cowl

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 04:20 PM
chilie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reshaping Prefabriacated Fiberglass Cowl

I am building a Great Planes CAP 232 (.40 sized). I took some advice from some other websites that reviewed this kit and they all said the best thing to do is to buy a fiberglass cowl and not spend the days attempting to make the ABS cowl that the kit comes with.

I took this advice and bought a cowl from Fiberglass Specialties. The cowl looks nice but it isn't an exact fit on the fuse. It is really tight at the top of the turtle decking and has a healthy sized gap at the top right and left sides of the cowl.

Is there a way to "soften" the cowl to be reshaped? I was thinking blasting it with a heat gun to make it plyable, but I don't know if this is a good idea. I'd hate to trash a 35 dollar cowl.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:01 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

Default RE: Reshaping Prefabriacated Fiberglass Cowl

That won't hurt it. Boil some water, put it in a pan big enough to let the cowl sit 2~3 inch deep in the water, after 15~20 seconds put it on the fuse let it cool on the fuse. I won't boil it though.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:15 PM
chilie

Thanks for the tip. I shall give it a try.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:40 PM
Deadstik
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chilie,

It is very difficult to "reshape" fiberglass after the epoxy is set. In the kits I make, the resins I use are purposely designed NOT to lose their shape until they are above 160 degrees farenheit. I've seen old polyester fuselages that looked like a banana after being left in a car...

As to your problem, I don't think you'll have much success w/hot water... what I would suggest is using a Monokote heat gun and, from a distance heat up only a small area at a time, move it to where you want it, and then cool it with the gun, turning the heat off...... I've done this on a couple of cowlings and it was very successful, but TIME consuming. If you get too much heat you will burn the glass. What you are looking for is enough heat to make the glass soft. Keep in mind that sometimes this will work well, and sometimes not at all. I would suggest trying it in one corner of the cowling and see if you can make that work..... the other outcome is to make your own cowling..... Good luck, just remember to take your time...

Dan
Carolina Custom Aircraft