Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
Reload this Page >

Why CA on CF Spar Caps?

Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Why CA on CF Spar Caps?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2003, 09:07 PM
wildblueyawner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why CA on CF Spar Caps?

Thick CA, not epoxy, is normally used as the adhesive to bond CF caps to end-grain balsa webs for composite spars. Are the low stresses at the cap-web interface the reason that CA is acceptable here, or is CA providing some other advantage over epoxy?
Old 02-11-2003, 12:09 AM
KevinSheen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why CA on CF Spar Caps?

Have you looked at the construction information for the Allegro-Lite? Those instruction indicate low vis. epoxy as the adhesive of choice.

Once you have even a small delaminiation of the CF from the top of the spar structure, your strength is gone.

Where I have seen CA used in the construction of a composite spar is when kevlar is wrapped around the entire spar. Fixing the kevlar tow in place is easy to just hit the top and bottom of the spar where the kevlar lays across the CF. Epoxy can be used here as well.

I think you will see a pretty high load on the top CF given the fact that the spar is going to attempt to shorten that top piece. Wrapping it with kevlar is an easy fix to that though.

Good info in the AL group on yahoo groups,

Kevin