Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
Reload this Page >

searching for Fiberglass Master products

Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

searching for Fiberglass Master products

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 08:40 PM
D2091

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default searching for Fiberglass Master products

Does anyone know if the Fiberglass Master products are still available somewhere?
Old 03-11-2007, 11:43 AM
Newc

Default RE: searching for Fiberglass Master products

Do you mean Fiberglass Specialties that used to be in Michigan? If so, yes they are still around, and in fact I just got some excellent wheel pants from them this past week. Go to http://www.fiberglassspecialtiesinc.com
Old 03-11-2007, 04:08 PM
D2091

I should have provided more info. The Fiberglass Master I am looking for was situated in Goodview, VA.

Specifically, I am looking for two standard cowls for the Taylorcraft by Brad Shepherd that appeared as a construction article in the August, 1988 issue of Model Aviation. It takes me forever to start something. I need to learn to buy the accessories while the gettin' is good!
Old 03-11-2007, 07:27 PM
Newc

Take a look at the catalog that Fiberglass Specialties has online at http://www.fiberglassspecialtiesinc.com/catalog.htm and navigate to the "Cowl and Accessories for Magazine Plans" and then to "Model Aviation". About half way down the list they show the following "AMA-733 Taylorcraft PHOTO $42.00". Perhaps this is the one you are looking for.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:41 PM
D2091

Thanks for the searching, but 733 is a lot bigger, as it is quarter scale. My plan number is 593. Forgot to mention THAT!

I now have two foam blocks nearly shaped for making one-off cowls. In comparing to photos of the real McCoy, I think there is a discrepancy in the placement and size of the ventilation grills, anyway. The ones on the plan are slightly too wide and placed a little too high, anyway. I hope the picture uploaded.

I have not done much building for a long time. I plan to use the Hot Stuff method - spray with contact adhesive, lay on the cloth until it is just so, then hit it with CA. Is two layers enough- 1 coarse and one fine?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw69125.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	640551  
Old 03-12-2007, 03:07 PM
Newc

Sounds like you are well on your way to a DIY cowl. I am not the one to comment on your method, having not done that before. Good luck.
Old 03-12-2007, 04:18 PM
diggs_74

I guess it looks like a fine way to do it other than the use of the CA.. I think you would be more pleased with the final result if you used a finishing resin instead of the CA.. Besides, finishing resin won't make you tear up
Old 03-12-2007, 08:23 PM
D2091

Would it be OK to pose a couple of questions about executing this?

The problem I have had with resin is getting it on dry enough so there are not smooth, or lumpy, places because of excess resin. I agree about the CA fumes, and would do it in the garage with a fan running.

I would propose to stick a dowel into the back of it and mount the dowel vertically. Tack up the form with 3M 77 and lay on the cloth, starting with small pieces for the nose.

Then what? More pieces, ala top, bottom, sides? Should I let it drape below the lower (back) edge of the form and trim later as it nears full cure? Two layers or wone thick one (not counting overlaps)?

What am I missing? I did this once years ago and never used the cowl, but mostly because I accidentally undersized it just a little, which was to much.

Thanks ahead of time. I hope to have something to show in a week or two.

Denny
Old 03-13-2007, 08:29 AM
diggs_74

It's really not that big of a deal to sand out the high spots.. Finishing resin sands pretty easily and you'll have to fill the weave of the glass anyway which will involve more sanding.. I think you will be way happier with the end result.. Just my .02 worth..
Old 03-06-2009, 04:54 PM
trainermaster80
My Feedback: (5)

try persision fiber glss products 865 256 1209
allso on web via google signed old modeler
Old 08-08-2009, 10:08 PM
RC Funster

Myron Pickard ran Fiberglass Master out of his shop at home in Goodview, VA. He sold the business over 10 years ago to someone in Tennessee, I believe. I have his address and phone number, if interested.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:06 AM
WOGMCOZ

I am trying to locate eng cowls for a 1/12 scale b-24d model from palmer plans. the company listed doen`t seem to exist anymore. any suggestions where to find them, and the plastic canopies and gun turrets?  thanks  note: wing is 110`` shows 0.s. 25 engs.

Old 04-09-2010, 10:36 AM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

ORIGINAL: WOGMCOZ

I am trying to locate eng cowls for a 1/12 scale b-24d model from palmer plans. the company listed doen`t seem to exist anymore. any suggestions where to find them, and the plastic canopies and gun turrets? thanks note: wing is 110`` shows 0.s. 25 engs.

google search works wonders... but these guys would probably know:

http://www.precisioncutkits.com/palmer.htm
Old 04-13-2010, 06:32 PM
WOGMCOZ

BUY FIBERGLASS PARTS AT WWW.FIBERTECH N MORE.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:50 PM
WOGMCOZ

anyone interested in fiberglass or plastic parts for your aircraft go to fibertech-n-more.com

just recieved my cowls for 1/12 scale b24d and plastic parts from them. excellent products and fast delivery.