Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Bubbling Fiberglass

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 08:05 PM
jetboy2003

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bubbling Fiberglass

Hey guys, I am finishing up fiberglassing the tail feathers on my TF Skylane and have run into a problem. I have been glassing with .5 oz glass and polyurethane. Just prior to shooting some primer, part of my elevator has developed some bubbles as you can see in the photo. Should I just sand out the bubbles and patch it up, or should I remove it all and redo the glass?

Old 04-03-2007, 12:59 AM
Aquila223

Default RE: Bubbling Fiberglass

Do the bubbles collapse if you ***** them with a pin? If not then it's strip it and start again. You'll open up a whole new can of worms if you sand through the cloth and make the edges all fuzzy.
Old 04-03-2007, 04:00 AM
Ed Smith

I am guessing you used a water based polyurethane. Sand the whole lot off. Glass it again this time with epoxy resin.

Ed S
Old 04-03-2007, 08:12 AM
jetboy2003

Unfortunately the bubbles stay when I popped them with a pin... I wonder if it may have to do with the humidity, it has been pretty humid lately. If I remember correctly I did lay the first layer when it was around 90% or so. Looks like its time to pull out the 100 grit....[:@]