Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
Reload this Page >

Epoxy cartridge with mix nozzle

Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Epoxy cartridge with mix nozzle

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2003, 07:18 PM
Nyroth
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Epoxy cartridge with mix nozzle

Hello Folks.

Some time ago i saw a Epoxy glue cartridge that had a mixing nozzle built in to it so that the product that comes out is ready to apply to your bonding surface.

The product is white to its color and fairly light weight.

Does anyone know what i talk about???

Best regards Niklas
Old 02-21-2003, 07:33 PM
JGFAN4EVER1
My Feedback: (5)

We have some of what you speak of at the place I work at, except it is black. we build electric motors and use it on our explosion proof motors. I have played with it quite a bit and its fairly lightweight when it cures. I am using some on my 40% edge 540 I am building.
Old 02-22-2003, 12:20 PM
HHRND

Niklas,

Sounds like your talking about BVM Aeropoxy. You can get it at the BVM (Bob Violett Models) web site.

JD
Old 02-26-2003, 06:47 PM
JetAwithPrist

The glue cartridge and mixing nozzle are little indication of what is inside. Those are basically just containers that an adhesive manufacturer can fill with anything they like. I have seen them with many different adhesives inside them. For instance BVM aeropoxy is most likely an industrial adhesive that BVM markets in small quantity in those nifty little cartridges. Those mixing nozzles are pretty cool but i would be a little concerned with getting a proper mix as it cant mix as well as you could with a popsicle stick. It would be good for production type environments to save time but i will take the time to mix it myself. just my 2c
Old 02-26-2003, 07:14 PM
Traxxas_Tech
My Feedback: (22)

Default Aeropoxy..

The item you are looking for is also known as Hysol 9462. Its available from any Loctite source, or most any serious hardware store, online.

Mcmaster-Carr Has a wide selection of adhesive cartridges or varying types, clear, whites, greys, flexible epoxies, semi flexible, wood bonding, metal bonding, slow set, fast set, and general prupose cartidges, as well as the applicator gun, and mixing nozzles. They are very good prices. I spent $120 there and got almost a dozen cartridges, the gun, and nozzles. I still havent used them all.

The Glue Guru Is another source for ALL types of glues and epoxies. I havent ordered from here yet, but I may soon. Looks good.

I do dissagree with the above comment about the nozzles not giving a good mix. I was skeptical at first as well, but after the first use, I couldnt have been happier. Just follow the instructions on the cartridge, and you will have good luck. The epoxy swirls around in the nozzle so many times, the mix is perfect by the time it gets to your work. And the application is extremely neat. I know the mix is much better than if you did it with a popsicle stick.... And so far, all the cartridges I've used, were filled with the specified contents. I seriously doubt such a reputable company as Loctite would rip us off with the wrong contents.

Sometimes, when I dont feel like using a nozzle, I just squirt out a perfectly matched amount of resin/hardener, and mix it by hand. This is great for me too.

Go ahead and get a selection of them, you will absolutely love them! I will be using them for as long as I keep building planes.

Old 02-27-2003, 01:17 AM
Kevin Greene
My Feedback: (85)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dean,

I must respectfully disagree with you concerning using the mixing nozzles. I conducted my own test with Hysol 9462. (BVM Aeropoxy) I used a long nozzle, a short nozzle, and hand mixing with a popsicle stick. The hand mix w/the popsicle stick cured the fastest and seemed to be harder than the other two. The short nozzle was the worst!!! It took considerably longer to cure and was not nearly as hard as the other two. I tried again with the short nozzle to see if I somehow screwed up. The same thing happened except one part never cured at all!!! I called Hysol to investigate and their reply was to NEVER use the short nozzles with 9462!!!!!!! My curiosity with this entire matter was initially raised when I saw streaks in the epoxy using the long nozzles with 9462. If you see streaks then the adhesive is not mixing completely and properly. I now hand mix whenever I can, folding the epoxy on top of itself many times---Not just stirring in circles with a stick. And I NEVER, NEVER use the short mixing nozzles!!! I save the long nozzles for the hard to reach jobs. Just my .02

Kevin
Old 02-27-2003, 02:25 AM
JetAwithPrist

And so far, all the cartridges I've used, were filled with the specified contents. I seriously doubt such a reputable company as Loctite would rip us off with the wrong contents.
What i meant by the comment about not knowing what was inside was just that all cartridge/nozzle adhesives are not the same, not that anyone is trying to pass something off as something its not. All i mean is you need to read the label not look at the type of container. There are a variety of adhesives available in that format.

I also used the nozzles a couple years back and while they did work, they just scared me a little. Most any expert on epoxies will tell you to fold it over for at LEAST a minute, which is a whole heck of a lot of mixing if you time it. I doubt that the nozzle comes close to that although it may be sufficient. I can certainly agree that it would be easier and neater. The other thing that bothered me was that you always waste the stuff inside the nozzle and the nozzle every time you use it. They are certainly a good invention and have their place, just probably not my place
Old 02-27-2003, 02:28 AM
Traxxas_Tech

JetA: Cool, now I understand your post.

Kevin: This is true. I probably have not had a problem because I use the long nozzle. I havent really noticed extra long curing time, and the end result is great for me. The hardened epoxy is perfect, sometimes too hard! I also mix it with popsicle sticks too, usually just to spare a nozzle, or for a quick job... I never thought about, or noticed different curing times, I'll remember to look for this next time I use it. The only thing I dont like about the nozzles is the waste, left over inside the mixer.
This is only my experience, and I'm sure many others have used it more than I, and found a bug.

I mostly use E20NS, E00NS, and E40FL.
Old 02-27-2003, 03:12 AM
Kevin Greene
My Feedback: (85)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dean,

I've never had a mix fail to harden using the long nozzles---just varied cure times. I have made several different shaped sticks to make neat fillets. I wipe the epoxy off and use them over and over. A little more work but I get raves from my customers.

Here is a little trick that I learned when using the long nozzles---When through for the evening place the nozzle in the freezer. The mixture will stay usable for at least one day but will eventually harden if left unchecked. When you need to use the nozzle again, take a heat gun and gently warm the nozzle all over until it is no longer cool---room temperature is ideal. Immediately use the epoxy in the nozzle just in case you over heated the nozzle and started a fast cure.

You can re-use the nozzles by removing the mixing spiral with needle-nose pliers and placing the nozzle and spiral in either denatured alchohol or laquer thinner.

How do the E20NS, E00NS, and E40FL compare to each other and 9462???? I'm looking for alternative adhesives, especially if they are cheaper. Again, your adhesives may behave differently than 9462 when using a nozzle as some epoxies may mix better/easier than others.

Thanks----Kevin

Kevin
Old 02-27-2003, 05:23 AM
Traxxas_Tech

Those are some good tips, I will try them, especially since i have a small fridge in the shop.

The E20NS is harder than 9462, and is meant as a metal bonder, but will hold very tight to anything you put it on. I have almost 10 minutes to work with it, and its movable in 20 minutes. I use this one most often. Its almond in color, and non sag.

E00NS looks like hot glue, and is strong, yet a little impact resistant. I use it for firewalls, fuse formers, or anything that may be susceptable (sp?) to shock. I have 6 minutes of work time, and can handle the work in 10. This one is non sag as well, a little thicker than cheap 5 minute epoxy.

E40FL is slightly thinner, and is flexible. Its grey, and has a longer work time than the others. The only problem I have had with this one, is that it can peel off the wood if you bug it a little. For that reason, I have not found much of a use for it yet.

Im starting to like the E00NS more and more as I use it, and yes, the customers love how neat it is!

Hope this helps
Old 04-02-2003, 03:23 AM
rfoot

Try using Ma-300 from Plexus. I use this stuff every day in the composites industry and i will set in about 20 minutes. I use the 8 inch mixing tubes on 50 ml cartridges.