Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Wood Plug - Need help

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2003, 05:21 PM
Jim Simer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wood Plug - Need help

I made a 7" Diameter wood plug that is about 12" long for a cowl i am trying to make. I covered the wood plug with packing tape to keep the epoxy from sticking to the plug, but I was unsuccessful in getting the cowl to release. I want to try this again but what can I do different to get it to release???? The plug has some draft on it, I also drilled and crossed drilled for an air line hoping to add air pressure in getting it to release. BTW this was my first try at glassing and don't want to give up yet.
Old 02-23-2003, 09:18 PM
scole
My Feedback: (5)

Get some mold release.
Old 02-24-2003, 02:24 PM
rcalfred

Default Tutorial

Go to www.cstsales.com and click on articles. Gives a complete how-to on making molds and parts. A cowl that size will probably require a split mold as shown in the how-to. Regards.
Old 03-02-2003, 07:02 PM
ace2002

Try to do it again, and release the part when still green in cure, and attach to plane to finish drying.
Mike
Old 03-02-2003, 08:14 PM
CafeenMan

You could also try using florist foam as the plug and then gouging it out after it's finished. Of course, you can only do one part this way, but it's the method I usually use for one-off parts. Much faster and cheaper than creating "real" plugs or molds.