Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Aileron coming loose

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 07:46 PM
olgoat
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aileron coming loose

Hi,

I bought a used 28% Extra 300, and one of the Ailerons is coming loose. It has foams wings. What is the best way to reglue the hinges. I've seen a "how to" video on this site that uses Gorilla glue, will this work on foam?

Thank you
Lonnie
Old 05-17-2007, 12:24 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Aileron coming loose

Since you said 28% it must be a Wild Hare that's been flown a lot. The BEST way to repair it is to use a hobby saw to cut the old hinges off. Obtain some new, large size Robart hinge points and drill new hinge holes about 1" from the existing locations. There is basl tri stock at the edge of the aileron and a wood backing strip to support the hinges inside the trailing edge of the wings. Using "Gorilla Glue" is the best type of glue to use. It expands and locks the hinge into the holes much better than epoxy. It does not take much.

I've assembled quite a few Wild Hare planes and this method and the type of glue work well.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:59 AM
olgoat
My Feedback: (6)

Silversurfer

Thank you for the advise. I thought about just regluing in the same hole but since you mentioned cutting off the hinges and drilling new holes, which adds a level of difficulty, that does sound the best, if one side of the hinge came out I'm sure the other side isn't far behind. The plane isn't a Wild Hare, I once thought it was a Midwest, not sure. I call it a 28% based on the measurements, 82" wing span. I never met the previos owner, I bought it from a Hobby Shop. My guess would be at least 5 years old, possibly 10.

Thanks again,
Lonnie
Old 06-14-2007, 05:24 AM
bakerbaker112
My Feedback: (10)

I wouldn't recomend using gorilla glue as becouse it won't harden it stays kinda soft its good for wood to wood surface but not wood to plastic find a good epoxy
Old 06-18-2007, 10:07 AM
Newc

I fully support Gorilla Glue, and despite the above post, it will not remain soft. Indeed, it will harden and fill any gaps. This is especially good for the Robart hinges since the hinge points have ridges and once the glue expands it is almost impossible to pull the hinge points out.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:26 AM
diggs_74

Totally agree.. I won't use anything else after trying it, especially with the robart's..
Old 06-18-2007, 11:49 PM
bakerbaker112

glue 2 peices of plastic or hinge material together and let it dry then pull it apart you will see what i'm talking about its made more for wood not hinges
Old 06-18-2007, 11:55 PM
bakerbaker112

The glue will be formed around the hinge but won't stick very good, you guys are seeing it bond to the wood but check the bonding on the plastics not good at all.