Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

fuel proof epoxy?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2003, 01:23 AM
twiggy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel proof epoxy?

I am building a wet wing and I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with glow fuel eating epoxy resin. I am going to layup a little 2" square sample part and set it in some fuel to see what happens, but I just thought I'd check and see if anyone has had any experience with this. Thanks
Old 03-12-2003, 11:03 AM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Epoxy is fuel proof. Makes a great fuel proofer for firewall and fuel tank bay areas.
Old 03-12-2003, 07:54 PM
twiggy

Default Thanks, but I am still rather concerned

I laid up a glass fuel tank for a test stand, using west epoxy resin (crappy resin, I know). After about an hour of use I noted a definet change in the color of the cloth, it looked dry. While it still held fuel, I was concerned about the structual integrity of the plys. For this application strength really did not matter but in the plane I am building the fuel will be against the spar. If it attacks the resin the structure would be comprimised. I will be using ProSet epoxy Resin for the plane. I agree that epoxy works well for fuel proofing an engine compartment, but it does not need to be structual in that application. There was a lot of structual analisis put into this wing that will all be for not if the fuel attacks the resin.
Old 03-12-2003, 08:10 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't know about it in that situation, wouldnt trust it. What about a surgical rubber baggie such as an I.V. bag?
Old 03-13-2003, 04:50 AM
twiggy

Default good idea

A surgical baggy is a good idea but I fear it may add a lot of weight. The airplane I am building is for a distance competion (CA Marathon in Baker), so weight is everything. Currently my plane has a span of 120" with a dry weight of 2lbs. It will carry 3lbs. of fuel. I am trying to maintain or improve this ratio of fuel to airframe. I was thinking today of applying a thin coat of proseal to the front of the spar (that is the part that will see the fuel). The skins are only taking up a small part of the load, so if they are slightly attacked by the fuel it should not harm the structual intergrity of the wing.

Thanks for the suggestions!
Old 03-21-2003, 07:54 PM
doctor jason

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Iuse epoxy all the time for fuel proofing my models totally fuel proof .
Old 03-21-2003, 10:01 PM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default wet fuel tank

Concerning sealing a "wet" wing fuel tank:

Have you thought about using Polyester resin instead of epoxy?
Old 03-29-2003, 04:45 AM
ace2002

Go to this site and ask for the 9700 epoxy, its fuel proof. I need to make some intakes for a motorcycle engine.
mike
http://www.jeffcoproducts.com/
Old 07-01-2003, 07:33 AM
goony

motorcycle race tanks used to be made from polyester with out problems but i dont know about glo fuel, also there is the stuff you use in car fuel tanks when they have gone rusty which seals them again it may be worth a try

regards goony