Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

cutting fiberglass?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 10:46 AM
Flying freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cutting fiberglass?

Hello

Is there an easy way to cut fiber glass cloth it seems the ends always come apart and unravel[] the best thign i ahve found is to put masking tape on the cloth and cut through it it helps some but when you take the tape off it somewhat comes apart.

any suggestions?
Old 08-27-2007, 11:00 AM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: cutting fiberglass?

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...fsetKevlar.php , they cut fiberglass and kevlar very nicely. I bought a pair about three years ago, and use them regularly, they have never failed me. Cuts like paper. It's expensive, but well worth it.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:02 AM
brad59
My Feedback: (32)

Go to the local sewing store and buy a cutting wheel. They're great! Watch your finger tips though........
Old 08-27-2007, 11:28 AM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

FF:

I use a sharp Pizza cutter wheel from the local crafts store. The 1 to 2" will work fine. A metal ruler or length of alum. stock works well as a streight edge. You can get a 36" streight edge I found a 48" at Loes, Home depot or other hardware outlet. Keep the scale side down, will not move as easially. Carefull with these cutters, they are sharp and will take a piece of finger if it get in the way. I keep 2-3 pieces of 1/2" sheetrock on my workbench as a cutting base and pin down sheet. When one gets torn up about every 6 months, I turn it over and use the back side until finally pulling it off and into the trash. You can duct tape the cut edges if you dont like the unfinished edge. Even if you only build ARF's the top will give you a throw away table top that eventually gets paint and glue spots all over the place, and you get a new surface for around $3.00. ENJOY
Old 08-27-2007, 11:34 AM
saramos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use regular household sissors for cutting glass cloth. To help preventing unraveling, layout your pieces at a 45 degree angle to the weave of the cloth. This is known as cutting on the bias, and is a long established method of minimizing unraveling. This can lead to more waste though. In some cases, it might be easier just to cut the pieces oversized and trim later.

A thought just came to mind. I've never tried it but, maybe you can spray the line you're going to cut with hair spray to help hold the fibers together after being cut.

Scott
Old 08-27-2007, 11:48 AM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

The OLFA rotary cutters work very well, especially on one of those self healing mattes.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:22 PM
dreadnaut
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: daven

The OLFA rotary cutters work very well, especially on one of those self healing mattes.
I was turned on to the olfa cutter by an artist I worked with once. It is an awsome tool.