Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
Reload this Page >

paper Mache & cardboard plug

Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

paper Mache & cardboard plug

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 03:21 PM
HO-229

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default paper Mache & cardboard plug

Ed/all,
While I have your attention, I would like to ask if anyone has made or if you have seen a plug made from paper Mache & cardboard

I am very interested in experimenting with this technique, seeing as my cost is almost zero

I will have almost $200.00 in my plugs when I finish them & that is only the material costs

I have seen parts cast from paper but never a plug?
Old 12-16-2007, 03:31 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: paper Mache & cardboard plug

If you are going to use the paper/cardboard plug to make a female mold there should be no problem. If you are going to use it for vaccuum forming, I have serious doubts as to whether it will hold up or not.

You do realize that while your initial costs may be next to nil, you will be using a lot more filler and A LOT MORE TIME to get the plug finished properly. IMHO, I would stick with wood for the plugs. It is relatively cheap, easy to shape and durable.
Old 12-16-2007, 03:42 PM
HO-229

the process is for the male plug only not the mold
I envision the cardboard being the filler material & the mache as the layered surface material to get the rough shape

Some sanding & filling of the mache & I am speculating the plug will be made

I remember as a boy making a piñata & I made the mache to thick ¼†& no one at the Halloween party could break it

The joy of it is if there is a low spot just apply more mache

enjoy
Old 12-16-2007, 10:11 PM
SCALECRAFT
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally I think you have unlimited materials that may work as plugs. It come down to experimentation . some plugs can endure the molding process, some can't

I like non conventional thinking "HO 229". .

steve
Old 12-19-2007, 04:55 AM
jnp

Hi , can understand that you would like to look at cheaper ways of doing it but not sure if it is worth it - sound like a lot of hassle . Why not go the blue foam way ? In our part of the world we do not get blue foam so I used the normal white variety ( more difficult to work with ). I did this a while ago , made the plug ( the plane was called a double cut - Ultimate type bipe) from White styrene , sanded it to shape , then covered it with material ( silk like ) using epoxy resin ( to seal and protect against polyester spray filler ) and then used auto motive sprayfiller to finish off - Worked just fine

Brgrds
Juan