Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
Reload this Page >

Atlanta Fuselage Splash..

Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Atlanta Fuselage Splash..

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 06:46 PM
Atlanta 60
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Atlanta Fuselage Splash..

The Master Model is now complete with the exception of sanding and buffing... [8D]

Now were finally ready to set up again to make some tools!! Yaayyyyy

I'll be re-using my initial parting board...I'll be making the actual molds in two halves rather than splitting it up into a bunch of pieces as I did the splash....The master came out of the transfer tooling quite easily so I have absolutely no reservations about making the actual tools in 2 pieces...Looking forward to it...Should be Fun!!

One thing I've learned so far is...I don't really like the Make your own surface coat out of resin thing very much...I was initially happy with it but I later discovered allot of pinholes which were a real pain to deal with...I probably could have let some of them go but there were several that needed fixin' for sure...I've elected to order some Real surface coat for my tools (photo)...I'm hoping for better results...I've used this stuff in the past when I was makin' tools for a living...I remember it as good stuff!! We'll see how it goes...

For all practical purposes the Master Model is a just a very thick and rigid fuselage...It's 2 layers of Hexcel 7500 10oz cloth and 2 layers of Hexcel 7587 20oz cloth which are the same materials I'm using for the tools (the schedule for the tools will be 2x 10oz, 4x 20oz, 1x 10oz layers)

I spent allot of time re-working the Master Model from a fit and finish standpoint (and fixin' pinholes..he he)...I found a nice little epoxy fairing compound from Aircraft Spruce which I fell in love with..it's made by System Three and it's called - Quick Fair Epoxy Putty...I used that for all of my body work...I used PPG Kondor DZ-3 primer (cause I had a gallon on hand)...Once the thing was ready to paint it was sealed with Dupont VelvaSeal and shot with 3 wet coats of Dupont Centari Pitch Black (again..just stuff I had on hand)...

Anyhow here are some shots of the Master Model...

Have Fun...

Chuck
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53200.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	995096   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up48067.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	995097   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch96524.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	995098   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fz73372.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	995099   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fq90051.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	995100   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wn87256.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	995101   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40895.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	995102  
Old 07-21-2008, 07:51 PM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i feel that even though i wasn't there in person i was there for you in spirit, in essence entitling me to a fuse also[X(].

david
Old 07-22-2008, 06:15 AM
Deadstik
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chuck,

Plug looks really great. I'm assuming when you said you disliked the "make you own surface coat" that you are using epoxy and carbon graphite. I'm getting ready to do that today/tomorrow on a belly pan... maybe a different type of epoxy will make a difference. Will let you know...

take care,

Dan
Carolina Custom Aircraft
Old 07-22-2008, 09:15 AM
TeamSeacats

Absolutely stunning finish on that plug! What surface are you planning to use for the mold?
Old 07-22-2008, 11:44 AM
Atlanta 60

Thanks Guys!!

Dan:
I dunno..I may have goofed with my surface coat formulation?? I didn't use graphite powder...All I did was use resin which I colored black with pigment and added cotton flox to thicken it up...

It was fine until you started breaking the surface...I'm not sure exactly what I did wrong but I'll probably mess with it later on...I wanted to try the graphite powder but couldn't find any locally...I elected to go with a tried and true method (for me) for tooling...

I would like to hear how your's turned out...Like I say if I hadn't started sanding on it I would have never known...Oh well..We'll try it again at a later date (cause it's cheep!!)

TeamSeacats:
I'll be using PTM&W 1935 surface coat...

Thanks for the comment!!

Have Fun...

Chuck
Old 07-26-2008, 12:38 PM
iron eagel

Awesome work on the master!
Good luck with the tooling.
Old 07-26-2008, 07:54 PM
Atlanta 60

Thanks Dude..
Old 08-19-2008, 07:41 PM
dhal22

when does this plane go into production in kit form?[X(] am i 1st on your list?

david
Old 11-12-2008, 04:44 PM
Roguedog

Thought i'd give this a bump and ask a few questions.

Hey Chuck. I was trying to figure out what resin material you used throught-out your splash process.

Did you use Polyester resin for the splash and and master mold?

or Was it polyester for the splash and epoxy for the master?

I guess what I am trying get at is are you switching between the the two resins as you build your tooling mold to get to the final fuse?

eg as in steps
1. polyester = splash
2. poltester = master
3. epoxy = tooling mold
4. epoxy = fuse

Thanks
Old 11-12-2008, 08:03 PM
Atlanta 60

ORIGINAL: Roguedog

Thought i'd give this a bump and ask a few questions.

Hey Chuck. I was trying to figure out what resin material you used throught-out your splash process.

Did you use Polyester resin for the splash and and master mold?

or Was it polyester for the splash and epoxy for the master?

I guess what I am trying get at is are you switching between the the two resins as you build your tooling mold to get to the final fuse?

eg as in steps
1. polyester = splash
2. poltester = master
3. epoxy = tooling mold
4. epoxy = fuse

Thanks
Actually Bryan I never used polyester resin at all...Everything is epoxy throughout...

I did switch resin systems (manufacturers) a few times along the way...I started out with West Systems because that is what I had on hand...I then bought a 1.5 gallon kit of E-Z Poxy just to give it a try...It seem like good stuff but I can't take the odor...whew!! Now I'm using MGS resin and really like it...I'll probably stick with the MGS stuff...

I'm using PTM&W high temp surface coat for the tooling molds...On the splash and master I just "made up" surface coat with thickening agent and coloring pigment which was fine...However I never really nailed my formula for home made surface coat so I decided to purchase the PTM&W stuff for the important part...

Thanks for the question...

Have Fun!!

Chuck
Old 11-25-2008, 08:27 AM
csanlley

Hi guys:

Atlanta60 very clean job, a question for u, lets say that i already made the molds for a plane, how do you do to make the final fuse? do you gelcoat/fiberglass the two halfs separated and then glued together ?
Old 11-25-2008, 03:37 PM
Deadstik
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CS

What you are asking takes a small book. If you'd like to pm me and get my phone number I'll be happy to point you in the right direction. There are MANY websites which show the fiberglass fuselage being laid up and the MANY techniques to do so. There are a million question which need to be answered correctly or you are going to waste a lot of money on materials. Search the web, but contact me if you'd like more information than can be put down here.

Dan
Carolina Custom Aircraft
Old 11-25-2008, 08:15 PM
dhal22

dan, i agree with you. based upon what i saw when i visited the atlanta 60 research and development facility this is not a mini telemaster build. no offense to any other would be molders but there's a lot of not only work but expertise and skill involved. sorry to lay it on thick chuck but i'm impressed.

david
Old 11-26-2008, 03:17 AM
Atlanta 60

ORIGINAL: csanlley

Hi guys:

Atlanta60 very clean job, a question for u, lets say that i already made the molds for a plane, how do you do to make the final fuse? do you gelcoat/fiberglass the two halfs separated and then glued together ?
csanlley...Thanks very much for the kind words!!

Deadstick is Defiantly the Man for this question!!! Although I do have some past experience with toolbuilding (mold making), I've never laid up a fuselage...I will be learning along with you...

dhal22...Thanks dude!!

Have Fun...

Chuck
Old 12-06-2008, 08:27 AM
csanlley

hi guys:

sorry for the very late response, Thanks Deadstick, as soon i start reading and searching for mold making on the web ill contact you, I havent had time to sit on my computer for a while... im going search on the web cause im very into make a plane out of a mold.

Atlanta 60: any update on your project??
Old 02-18-2009, 05:57 AM
dhal22

bump
Old 03-18-2009, 11:33 AM
hrrcflyer

ORIGINAL: dhal22

bump
Hey David,

I guess Chuck has forgotten us over hear. I hope everything's OK with him...
Old 03-21-2009, 07:39 AM
Atlanta 60

ORIGINAL: hrrcflyer

bump
Hey David,

I guess Chuck has forgotten us over hear. I hope everything's OK with him...
Hi Guys!! nope..I havn't forgotten...I'm just a little embarrassed, sad and mad at myself for not getting any further with this project...

I'm out of town again for work (Nellis AFB, Las Vegas) and won't be home until late April...I have some things to get straightened out when I get home then I sure hope I can get going on this again...

There is also a chance I won't be home in April...They may be sending us from here to Tyndall AFB rather than home in April?? Not sure yet...

So sadly this project is on hold till whenever I can get going again...

Sorry everyone!!

Chuck
Old 03-21-2009, 12:34 PM
dhal22

we wouldn't mind if you flew home on the weekends to keep this project going[X(]..............
Old 03-23-2009, 03:12 PM
hrrcflyer

we wouldn't mind if you flew home on the weekends to keep this project going[X(]..............

Hey Chuck,

Don't sweat it. I've got enough plane stuff to keep me going till the cows come home anyway. So I'll just wait patiently for your return to the project.

Keep us posted on which way you'll be going when you finish up work at Nellis so Dave and I will know when to start bumping the thread again....[X(]
Old 03-23-2009, 08:32 PM
dhal22

nothing like seeing your thread front and center when you log onto RCU (especially if it's been awhile since it's been updated) and it not be you that updated it. kind of a subtle reminder to get back at it. in fact i need to update one of my own that been lying dormant for a month or so.[X(]
Old 03-24-2009, 04:50 PM
hrrcflyer

Hey David,

I know what you mean. I have a thread for the Hangar 9 Miss America in the ARF forum that I didn't have a chance to post on in almost three weeks before yesterday. When I finally found my thread, it was back on Page 9......[X(].

Now, get back to work on your BA before the "Bump Demons" pay your thread a visit...

Sorry to get off subject Chuch.[]

David
Old 10-02-2009, 11:52 PM
Roguedog

Hey Chuck. Thought I'd give this a bump again. Any progress?

I'm just dying to see pics of you laying one up.

Bryan

Old 10-03-2009, 05:40 AM
dhal22

he's in alaska for a while working. of course a more dedicated hobbiest would have had his work shop relocated to his temporary location.[X(] you know, have the project trucked up there, leave the semi trailer parked outside while you're on location. a rolling hobby shop. but that's only if you are dedicated.[8D]
Old 10-03-2009, 08:37 AM
Roguedog

of course a more dedicated hobbiest would have had his work shop relocated to his temporary location.[X(] you know, have the project trucked up there, leave the semi trailer parked outside while you're on location. a rolling hobby shop. but that's only if you are dedicated.[8D]
dhal22, thanks for the heads up. Alaska! geez, I betcha he's jonesing to do it as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.