Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
Reload this Page >

Carbon Fiber Fuel Tank?

Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Carbon Fiber Fuel Tank?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 09:05 AM
kerklein2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbon Fiber Fuel Tank?

I am in need of a custom fuel tank and I was thinking about the possibility of making it out of carbon. Has anyone done this before? What kind of coating would I need on the inside (I've read about out gassing of the epoxy being a problem) if any? How would you recommend joining the two halves to ensure its leak proof? How would you put a cap on it? Any advice is appreciated.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:23 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

Default RE: Carbon Fiber Fuel Tank?

what is with u needing a special shape? i am here to see what u find out also.
Old 02-14-2008, 05:20 PM
kerklein2

I am building a custom airframe and I need a very large fuel tank and it needs to fit in a certain spot.
Old 02-14-2008, 05:56 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

is it possible to use a header tank to feed your main tank so that you do not have to re-invent the wheel?
Old 02-14-2008, 06:05 PM
Launch Pad McQuack

Normally when you reference a header tank this is a small tank just prior to going into the engine. The main tank or tanks depending on your application feed to the header and the header feeds the engine. I have have done this on serveral glow engine setups and also on gas setups. This is also common practice on most Jet and Turbine setups. With out knowing the specifics of your project that about all I can tell you.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:52 PM
DMcQuinn
My Feedback: (13)

I have heard of people making their own fuel tanks from Carbon Fiber, but have not tried it myself. Is your application for glow fuel, Gasoline, or Jet-A? I think the common resin is to use epoxy resin rather than polyester resin. I think the epoxy resin sets up impervious to all of the fuels we normally use. I don't recall any special barriers needed on the inside of the tank. A friend of a friend made a CF motorcycle gas tank a couple years ago. I saw the finished product, but did not see the construction. I think you could merely join the two halves together with epoxy and a layer of cloth on the outside of the seam. Fabricating the "hole" in the tank may be the tricky part. You need to have a good strong hole /neck for the stopper to fit in.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:55 PM
martyg
My Feedback: (42)

Ask the guys in the Jets forum. They do this all the time. The ones I've seen are made of Kevlar.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:25 PM
kerklein2

I will be using gasoline. And no, the header tank isn't an option. The tank needs to be custom because 1) it is extremely large and 2) it needs to be a unique shape.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:06 PM
JKEpps
My Feedback: (1)

This isn't carbon, but I believe the techniques displayed are pretty much the same.
[link]http://www.houstonhobbies.com/tips/composites/superreaper-fueltank.htm[/link]