Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
Reload this Page >

Help, need help filling voids

Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Help, need help filling voids

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2003, 09:25 AM
jamcg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help, need help filling voids

I just got in a fiberglass fuse for a sea plane. There seems to be a lot of voids along the hard edges on the bottom. They are about the size of a BB. There are also a some smaller voids on the fuse itself. I am pretty sure that the fuse is polyester. What do I use to fill the voids? I am a little worried because of the flex in the fuse.

Thanks James
Old 05-03-2003, 06:55 PM
Mike James

Default Use the same material

If the fuselage is polyester, then polyester will be the best material to use. Standard "Bondo" type stuff is inexpensive, and fine for these kind of repairs. Just remember to clean the area first, and scuff it up with sandpaper if possible, to make the new polyester adhere well.

About the flex...
If the fuselage was just made recently, you might simply give it a few days. Both polyester and epoxy cure over time, and become tougher. Or, it may be that the fuselage alone flexes, but will be plenty stiff enough, once you've installed whatever internal parts go in the model, such as formers, servo mounts, etc..
Old 05-21-2003, 11:30 PM
KitKat

Hello I make my own epoxy glass airplane parts cowl,hatch and fuselages from molds that i had made for my EDGE 540 1/4 size airplane.I am not having any pin hole problems currently with layup of parts.
A good product to use for pinholes or buildup of parts is SPLIT- SECOND rapid sanding polyester finishing paste no.26020 made by U.S. CHEMICALS&PLATICS MASSILLON, OHIO from automative stores. It is two parts and turns pink or raspberry in color and is about 2-3 minutes active time and sands very good.

Another product to fill small pinholes is PPG spot putty DFL1 and is good to apply over primer surface that has small holes to fill.Just apply to the holes , wait 15 minutes and sand and reprime.
Use with ventlation as there is some odor.

Hope this helps answer your question. Kit Kat [email protected]
Old 06-07-2003, 07:50 PM
e-bird

Dam if you sand flush loose strength dam. If you fill and small glass over to much weigh dam. Witch way dam.. CU