Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Carbon fiber rod glue?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2003, 11:51 AM
onewinglow
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbon fiber rod glue?

I'm using Central hobbies cf rod and thier rod ends. It's says to use JB weld to glue the ends in. but I'm using the 4 minute type.
I had one pull off, should I have used the regular jb weld?
Or just get a bad glue joint. Besides using the quicker drying glue I followed thier instructions on cleaning and preparing the rod ends.
Any thoughts on this before I go out and have a crash because of a failed glue joint.
Thanks
Scott
Old 05-04-2003, 08:45 PM
rjmech
My Feedback: (3)

Scott,
If they say to use JB weld that should work. Generally use the slowest setting glue that you can, the reason for this is that the faster a glue sets the more brittle it will be(note: this is a generalization all adhesives dont apply). How well did you clean the cf rod and rod end. You want want there to be no evidence of grease, oil, wax/mold release, etc. I generally wipe the bond area using MEK with clean lint free cloth moistened in MEk. Wipe only once with each area of the cloth in 1 direction, so as not to recontaminate the area. Wipe at least 2 times after there is no evidence of contamination on the rag. One of the most common causes of composite failure is an improperly cleaned surface. Also a high humidity environment can give poor bonding results.
Hope this helps..
Thaddeus
Old 05-04-2003, 11:17 PM
winship

I sometimes wonder if the epoxy isn't sometimes pushed down the carbon tube while the end is inserted. One solution is to glue a small plug a little past where the rod will end and fill with the carbon tube with epoxy. This way the excess epoxy will ooze out the top and interlock the rod end in place.

Just some food for thought.

Winship
Old 05-05-2003, 02:57 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

We use quite a bit of CF rods in our racing planes, and I have not had one fail. I have used:

5 minute epoxy
20 minute epoxy
JB Weld
Black Flash (Black flash is a Black rubberized thick CA, sometimes called tire glue)
M310 Mythacralyte(sp?) This is some pretty powerfull epoxy, that works great on composite and wood materials.

The Black Flash is probably the easiest to use, and dries the fastest. You can buy Black Flash from Darrol Cady at www.darrolcady.com

He also sells about the least expensive CF rods you can buy (that I have found). I like his 1/8" diameter cf rod, because the inside diameter is a slip fit for 2/56 rod.

Cleaning the CF and the insert is extremely important. I also like to scuff up the inserted rod with a dremel tool or sandpaper, and then clean thouroughly. It can be tough getting the glue into the tube, but be patient, and keep poking the glue in the hole. If your using the Black flash, you have to hurry a little, because it will dry relatively quick.

After a little practice, you can secure one end of the rod at the surface, and then glue and attach the other end to the servo arm and center, so that when it dries, it will be at the exact length needed at the centered servo position.