Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
Reload this Page >

Orthopaedic Casting Tape

Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Orthopaedic Casting Tape

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 03:28 PM
johnmathewson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Orthopaedic Casting Tape

I had to take the warden into the hospital the other day to have a cast applied to her broken leg. As a dutiful attentive husband, I noticed that the technician inserted a roll of casting tape into a bowl of water, wrung it out the wrapped it around my wifes leg. He applied 2 rolls, formed it with his hands (under my close supervision) and the tape hardened in about 2 minutes. The tape is a fibreglass mesh impregnated with a water soluable resin. This tape is about 10 cm wide and 3.5 m long. Has anyone used this tape to join wings or make cowlings? The tape is manufactured by BSN Medical and is called Dynacast Extra. The stock number is 4793 71362-00.
Old 04-28-2008, 04:56 PM
jratuszn

Default RE: Orthopaedic Casting Tape

I don't think it would be a very good option for structural reinforcements. The adhesive does an ok job of sticking the fiberglass to itself, but even then it will delaminate pretty easy if you get a corner lifted. I'm not sure if it's a water soluble adhesive, or if the water just catalyzes it (similar to CA) because if it cures on your skin it is a nightmare to get off. Probably the biggest problem is that the weave is so open, and the cloth is so heavy. Almost like 10oz cloth. It is really useful for reinforcing molds, so if you have a stockpile of it that would be a good use, but I wouldn't suggest going out and getting some. I honestly have no idea what it costs. Since it's a medical-specific item, though, I would guess it's expensive.

Good luck

-J
Old 04-29-2008, 01:56 PM
TeamSeacats

Default RE: Orthopaedic Casting Tape

I was just talking about that with someone this morning. It's VERY expensive (unless you have a job related subsidy for the stuff). It would be good for reinforcing a temporary mold or something.