Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
Reload this Page >

4 meter glider wings. How much structure?

Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

4 meter glider wings. How much structure?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 04:22 PM
colmo-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 meter glider wings. How much structure?

Hi all, Im making new foam wings for my 4 m discus, as the original built-up balsa ones were destroyed. The thing is Ive never used foam and I don`t know if I should use spars under the balsa sheeting. Also, how do I support de 10 mm rod that joins them inside the foam?? Im sure if I use nothing, the foam will just crush and the rod will go loose inside. Maybe some ply ribs??

Thanks
Old 06-11-2008, 10:52 PM
rgunder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 4 meter glider wings. How much structure?

Hi colmo-RCU!

Balsa skins over foam cores without spars works only for small models. I highly recommend that you incorporate a strong spar (probably carbon fiber) into your foam core prior to skinning the wing. As for the 10mm rod, I would recommend a minimum of a plywood root rib and secondary rib located about 10% to 15% of the half-span from the root. Each of these ribs should be bonded to the core before skinning the wing, and the rod should fit snugly into the ribs.

Best of luck on your build!