Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
Reload this Page >

Polyeter Epoxy Compatability

Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Polyeter Epoxy Compatability

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 07:08 PM
Ozmodeller

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polyeter Epoxy Compatability

I recently purchased a Yellow Aircraft AT-6, the instructions state that only Stabilit Express be used as an adhesive for use on the polyester fuselage and components. My question is if the fuselage and glass components are polyester will normal epoxy adhesives be strong enough (I am installing a new firewall), also is there a method of determining if I have a polyester or epoxy fuselage? It certainly looks like epoxy but it also does not have any of the aromatic odour normally associated with polyesters, is it possible that it could be a vinyl ester; I have not had any experience with these?

Thanks and Regards

Peter
Old 07-09-2008, 08:33 PM
TeamSeacats

Default RE: Polyeter Epoxy Compatability

vinyl esters still smell like polyester....I'm not sure how you tell the difference without maybe burning a piece of it!

Epoxy will always be the adhesive of choice. It adheres to polyester better than polyester adheres to polyester (once cured). Be sure to sand the bonding area with some rough grit sandpaper to help the mechanical bond.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:30 PM
Electric Delta
My Feedback: (13)

I had a similar question about adhesives and polyester fiberglass. Specifically, I was wondering how well Gorilla Glue would bond with it? I want to re-do the landing gear block in a Kangke F3D-30 to accomodate a little different style landing gear, so it needs to be a good solid bond, and figured the foaming action of the glue would help to fill voids and distribute the load better.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:14 AM
Scorpion Racing

I agree with Jake, I would suggest using epoxy resin. Epoxy is strong yet flexable by nature, since it is a plastic. Ca's and other glues may be as strong, but lose their bond or break since they will not flex.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:45 AM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

My experience is that epoxy does not bond to polyester very well and certainly not good for high stress areas like the firewall. I use polyester resin when I’m working with polyester fiberglass.