Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
Reload this Page >

Is 40" too small for a fiberglass fuse?

Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Is 40" too small for a fiberglass fuse?

Old 10-26-2008, 12:24 AM
DwightMann

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is 40" too small for a fiberglass fuse?

I don't have much experience w/ composites, mostly glassing over slope gliders where weight is not much of a concern.
I don't recall seeing any small planes with fiberglass fuselages (except gliders). Would it be too heavy or can it be built light enough?
How would the weight compare to a conventional built up balsa fuse?
Would carbon fiber or kevlar be any better
Old 10-26-2008, 10:33 AM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Is 40" too small for a fiberglass fuse?

You can build light enough no problem. The reason you don't see many small planes with glass fuses is that people want little price tags on little planes. If you've made a fuse or two you know the cost is not much more for materials, (excepting CF), for a big plane, the time is about the same. It'll cost $20 to make a 1/4 scale fuse in glass, $10 to make a 40" fuse in glass. It would be no problem to get $250 for the 1/4 scale fuse, but could you get $240 for the 40" fuse?
Old 10-26-2008, 12:02 PM
R8893
My Feedback: (20)

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a 1/12th scale Ki-61 from SteinModel in Czech Republic (I think) Glass Fuse, reasonably light and good flying model.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:41 PM
SCALECRAFT
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your making it for yourself, its worth it. Pride of accomplishment.

But as stated, a small fuse due to the labor involved is not (in the US) worth it.

We make our own all composite (fuse and wings) models for our own use. To name a few: 48" span BF 109F, 48" span Hurricane, 54" span Corsair, 50" span A6M5 Zero, 48" span FW 190, 62" span Typhoon, 68" span Spitfire and a few more.. All nitro powered.

Steve