Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
Reload this Page >

Source for cheapest carbon fiber sheets?

Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Source for cheapest carbon fiber sheets?

Old 05-31-2003, 05:25 AM
angelo2600602

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Source for cheapest carbon fiber sheets?

Hey guys I'm in need of .125" carbon fiber sheets,I need about 2x3 feet for a design i'm working on.Where is the cheapest source since this stuff is very expensive
Old 05-31-2003, 07:03 PM
angelo2600602

well it can also be 1x3 feet each
Old 05-31-2003, 09:12 PM
Darrinc
My Feedback: (5)

Why do you need a solid 1/8" piece of carbon? Buiding full scale? Will a cored piece not work? You can build a 40% with .014 skins, so what is the application for .125 thick skins? .125 carbon is very heavy BTW.
Old 06-01-2003, 01:24 AM
angelo2600602

well,i,m thinking of scratch building a 40 or 60 size fun fly with a solid carbon fiber fuse,wings will be balsa shetted foam core,how much do you think carbon fiber that think weights by the square foot?,maybe I should try your suggestion,could you point me to some sources please
Old 06-04-2003, 03:50 PM
A5fly

Originally posted by scole
Cored plates weigh margionally more than solid carbon, but solid carbon will cost much more.
scole,

Maybe I musunderstand your reply, but 0.125in Nomex core weighs 2.7 oz/sq yd. whereas 3k carbon twill with 50% resin content weighs over 10 oz/sq yd. You will need about 10 layers of the carbon fabric to get to a solid 0.125in. For an RC aircraft you would have more strength than you need if you used one layer of carbon on each side of a Nomex core.

You can make a part with MUCH greater strength/weight if you use sandwich construction. It will also cost about 1/3 the cost of making a solid 0.125in carbon plate.
Old 06-05-2003, 05:02 AM
A5fly

How do you fill a carbon plate with tow and epoxy and have it weigh less than air? Honeycomb is mostly air. The cells are not filled with epoxy. Also, tow is just unbraided carbon fiber so the weight of 0.125in of carbon layup is as I said above: about 10 layers thick of 10 oz/sq yd. for a total of 100 oz/sq yd. A honeycomb sandwich 0.125 in thick as I described above would weigh about 27 oz sq yd. and would be more than stiff enough for any RC fuselage.

Also, carbon is about $4/sq. ft. so making a 0.125 plate would cost about $40 sq. ft. A honeycomb sandwich would be about $24 sq./ft. If balsa were used as the core instead of honeycomb, you are at about $9 sq. ft. Of course you could just switch to glass and it is much cheaper still, and plenty strong.
Old 06-05-2003, 06:41 PM
blkbird68
My Feedback: (19)

Considering that nomex doesn't even come in any thicknesses other than .21" It will be useless for a 1/8" plate. I am sorry, but the nomex is 39"x29" for $89, my mistake. It is 1.8lbs/ cubic ft. Thats 7oz/sq yard. I know longer care to do
Gee...I guess I better send back the 1/8" thick carbonfiber nomex composite panel I have and tell acp composites that they sold me something that doesn't exist....
Old 06-05-2003, 06:52 PM
blkbird68

The honeycomb will not make it stronger or stiffer, it will make it more impacts resistant.
Sorry, but the honeycomb does make the panel stiffer...by increasing the space between the carbon panels...the farther the panels are apart the more it would make the panels have to stretch if the panel is to bend...

...also at 217 grams per sq foot for a carbon/nomex 1/8" panel....verses 475 grams for a 1/8" thick carbon plate it sure sounds like the carbon/nomex panel is lighter to me
Old 06-05-2003, 09:00 PM
scole

where do you get 475g for a carbon panel?
Old 06-05-2003, 09:01 PM
blkbird68

cst

where do you get that honeycomb nomex doesn't come in any thickness other than .21???

where do you get that solid plate is lighter than a carbon/nomex panel of the same thickness???
Old 06-06-2003, 02:27 AM
A5fly

Thank you blkbird.

I was wondering when someone else was going to jump in here! I am still at a loss to understand how you can fill plate with fiber tow (which weighs the same as the fiber in fiber weave, because fiber weave is made from fiber tow) AND epoxy, and have it weigh less than a structure which is mostly air by volume.

Also, in our lab we have Nomex honeycomb ranging from under 1/8in, to over 1 in. I don't know where the 0.21 in number comes from either.

Boy angelo, you really started a thread here :surprised

Well it looks like all the original posts that started the "discussion" have been deleted, so I guess it's over...
Old 06-06-2003, 10:40 AM
blkbird68

A5fly;

He came up with Honeycomb Nomex only coming in .21 thickness because that is the only thickness that FiberGlast carries (at least that is my guess, I am basing that on the fact that the sheet size and price he quotes match up to what Fiberglast sells, and what fiberglast sells is for heavier applications, I have asked them that before, and they stated that for model applications, lighter honeycomb material was available from other sources) and also for note Honeycomposites sells 3/16 thick carbon fiber/nomex panels that are 89grams per sq/ft, I think the numbers that CST quotes for weights are for a panel larger than 1 sq/ft...I asked them that question one time and I have forgotten what panel size that weight is for.......

...and what happen to all of Scole's posts????
Old 06-06-2003, 06:19 PM
scole

I deleted them because i was obviuosly wrong and wasn't thinking straight.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:10 PM
leilijia

Default RE: Source for cheapest carbon fiber sheets?

Hi Alias :

Yes , Carbon Fiber Sheet is expensive !   Since it is a good Material -light weiht , Density is 1.6 , very good tensible strenth and flexural strength .

My name is Lei from CHN Carbon Fiber Technology Co.,Ltd , Located in Yixin city , Jiangsu Province , CHINA . 

Our website :  www.chn-cf.com

As a leading Manufacturer of Carbon Fiber Products sheet , tube , rod  , We deliver best quality ( good Properties , smooth finish and small

tolerance ) with competitive Prices .

Currently we sell CF Sheet of 0.125mm thick 2 feet * 3 feet Sized at $293  ,  Also based on big QTY , We offer discount to customers .

Currently many customers using our CF Sheets in Auto Part Application .  RC Helicopter Modelers also use as Helicopter Frame .

For any doubts pls let me know .

Lei lijia

Email : [email protected] 

CHN Carbon Fiber Technology Co.,Ltd

www.chn-cf.com

CHINA