Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
Reload this Page >

Bolt insert for composite gear

Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Bolt insert for composite gear

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 12:16 AM
F-16WpnsTech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bolt insert for composite gear

Hey folks,
I'd like to have some composite gear (CF) made for my Wildhare Sukhoi. Each gear (2 piece) is threaded and slides into the fuse, and is bolted (x3) from the top, inside the fuselage...getting a nut on the bottom is almost impossible. Does anyone know of an insert that might work that I might fasten to the drilled bolt hole that I can then put a bolt down through? Thanks for any help.
Old 12-22-2008, 04:37 AM
qldviking

Default RE: Bolt insert for composite gear

hmmmm The only thing I can see working is to use T-nuts with the barbs folded back out or nearly ground flat and epoxied in. You dont want the barbs penetrating into the leg much at all. I wouldnt use les than 3/16 bolts
Old 12-22-2008, 10:44 AM
F-16WpnsTech

You know, that's probably the only option I have given how thin the gear will be...maybe put a little expoxy under the blind nut to help hold it on. Thanks.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:55 AM
qldviking

I would definately use some epoxy on the T-nuts, warm it up a bit to thin it some so it can bond the fibres in the holes as well. Use 30min or slower. It probably wouldnt hurt to scuff the tubes on the T-nuts to give a better grip too