Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
Reload this Page >

Fiberclassic skin delamination

Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Fiberclassic skin delamination

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 11:36 AM
hemi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fiberclassic skin delamination

I'm working on my Mig 29 and have noticed a couple of small spots on the bottom of the fuselage where the silver exterior gel coat, if thats what it is, has delaminated from the glass cloth. Its sort of like an air bubble you might see on a monokote finish. I was thinking about injecting finish resin into the area to bond it to the glass. Any thoughts? Has anyone else experienced this?

Best regards

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj24061.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	1097419  
Old 12-27-2008, 06:27 PM
mselby
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Fiberclassic skin delamination

Without seeing a picture the following response is conjecture. I think the layup you have is herex in a glass sandwich. The color layer is paint rather than an actual gel coat. It doubt that the paint delaminated, it is more likely you have a bubble from the glass not bonding properly. This could be from a dry spot, or a vacuum issue in the mold. The best bet is usually to open up the hole and clear the debonded area. Don't break through the herex core, fill the hole with epoxy and microballoons. This should stabliize the bubble area.
If you are unsure post a photo.
Mike
Old 12-28-2008, 11:10 AM
SCALECRAFT
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My buddy and I owned a FC P-51. No blemishes.

I would guess this is just a cosmetic blemish on the fuse. If it has no structural value,and is not a large area, I would inject some epoxy resin under it and remove the excess.

This is one of the few reason I don't like colored fuses. It hides the layup quality.

Steve
Old 12-28-2008, 03:50 PM
hemi

I've added a picture. Its tough to see but the area is the size of a dime at the right edge. The door is a combination of glass cloth and carbon. I'm not sure what FC uses for the initial silver slury coat that picks up the detail so well. I would quess the cloth in that are didn't wet out properly. Thanks for the feedback
Old 12-28-2008, 04:16 PM
c-cat

You can hold the part up to a bright light and view the area in question there. An air pocket will look like just that-a more clear region in the laminate.Gentle tapping in the area will indicated a hollow sound also.If the area is that small (20cc's) of resin just inject it, if it's an actual air trap you'll need to have a vent to release air when resin is injected.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:11 AM
hemi

C Cat
Thanks Thats what I'll try. the vent is a good idea, the resin will expell the air out of the vent.

Best regards