Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

How to color Epoxy

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 11:35 AM
colmo-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to color Epoxy

Hi all,

I fuelproof my firewalls and the inside of wood cowlings with heat-thinned epoxy after I cover the outside with Monokote to overlap as most people do (here, anyway). My question is, can I somehow color the epoxy with some pigment or stain or whatever to match with the covering or at least to make it black? Or should I paint the wood before applying the epoxy? In this case, what kind of paint won´t compromise the adherence of the epoxy?

Thanks
Old 01-04-2009, 11:54 AM
wkevinm

Default RE: How to color Epoxy

colmo-RCU

You can buy color for epoxy from stores that deal with these types of products, I have previously gotten mine from a boat store that deals with homemade canoes and kyaks. If you want black graphite powder from WEST works well.

wkevinm
Old 01-04-2009, 06:48 PM
KC36330

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the West Systems 501 (as well as others) pigments are a little $$$, for your intended applications get butyrate dope already in the color you want. it's fuel proof, thin and soaks into wood extreamly well and no mixing, just unscrew the cap and apply.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:32 AM
colmo-RCU

hmmmm that's a good idea. Thanks
Old 01-06-2009, 10:38 AM
Frequentcrasher

For that application, You can tint the epoxy with tempera powder. An art store will carry all the colours you need. It will thicken slightly, but the heat will even it out.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:29 AM
Slow Low

All of above is good advice. I use cheap acrylic paint in squeeze bottles that you can get just about anywhere. I hate to say it, but it's one of the very few things I have bought at Walmart. I haven't found a cheaper more effective method yet. I mix it in at 10% of resin by weight before hardener.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:25 PM
colmo-RCU

and doesn´t the acrylic affect the the sealing properties of the epoxy? Is it still as fuelproof?
Old 01-21-2009, 01:36 PM
Slow Low

No and then yes.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:31 PM
Half-A-Hec

Colmo,

I use gel coat pigment. This can be purchased at most autobody supply stores for about $5 a tube. It is like a pigmented cream in a tube. You don't need much to get an entire batch of resin or epoxy to take on its color. If you have trouble getting some, send me a PM and I will send you a tube of black pigment. Other colors are available so you can mix a little of this with a little of that until you get the right color then add a dab into your resin or epoxy. I hope this helps.

Hec.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:34 PM
minicrazy592

Well one way that I do it when I'm fiber glassing or sheeting, is to add food coloring. That's how I got my free subscription to Fly RC. That way you can see where it is and it dries that color. Maybe not exactly what you are looking for, but it may come in handy someday.