Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
Reload this Page >

Sanded through fibreglass wing

Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Sanded through fibreglass wing

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 11:16 PM
Aussie Jet Guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sanded through fibreglass wing

Hello,

I posted this on beginner's forum (as I am more or less a beginner), but only had one reply (which I will add after the post), and had no replies about the West System question. I have looked through old postings on this forum, and there are heaps of guys with fibreglass knowledge, so I will give it a go here.

I am new here to RCU, and the jet building in general, and have sucessfully managed to fibreglass the wing (balsa over foam wing) and all other wood areas. Unfortunately what I didn't do was follow the instructions of a friend who told me to lightly sand the wing down, and I undortunately sanded through some areas of the glass. What is the best way to fix this? Should I re-glass the wing, just resin the wing with something like finishing resin, or just continue and prime etc. Also, is West System a good resin to glass a wing with? And is West System here in Australia exactly the same as in the US (anyone know)? Apparently the company in Australia purchased the formula for the resin and still call it West System, but I would like to know if anyone has tried both.

The answer I received about the wing question was to re-fibreglass the area I sanded through. The glassing was done a year or so ago, so would the age of the glassing make a difference?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:34 PM
KC36330

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Sanded through fibreglass wing

just glass over the area with slight overlapping then feather the overlap with a light weight filler and carefully sand smooth.

West is a great epoxy system, i have no idea if it's the same down under but if the can looks the same it should be.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:19 AM
Aussie Jet Guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sanded through fibreglass wing

Thanks KC36330. The cans are different. But the spiel on the website says it is the same recipe.