Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Panel lines in cowl

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 03:01 PM
rogerswin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Panel lines in cowl

I'm trying to make my own cowls for a DC-6B. I don't have any "hands on" experence in this, I've just read everything I could search out on the internet. My question is: I've turned, primed and smooth sanded a wooden plug on the lathe. Can a couple of very shallow lines be cut into the circumference of the plug (for panel lines), or will this prevent the plug from being removed out of the mold? I will be using polyester resin and 2 oz. glass cloth, plus the wax, PVA, etc. I had not planned on making a two-part mold.

Roger
Old 06-28-2009, 07:02 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Panel lines in cowl

if you put the smallest notch in the surface then your going to lock the plug into your intended mold, if its just a barrel cowl then a 2 part mold would be better for getting the plug out, and the finished cowl,but really a 3 part would be easyer still, the 2 sides and the front or nose of the cowl, this also depends on weather or not there is horizontal and vertical lines in the plug, any little notch acts like a key.

also 2oz cloth is way to light for making a mold, mabee the second layer after the glaze coat of resin,then you want fiberglass matt so you can build up thickness for the mold, then cover that with light cloth so its smooth.

for a multi part mold it needs to be strong enough to screw together with small bolts its not hard it just takes some time.

this is my build thread there is a detailed description of the process I used to make my cowl with alot of help from this and other forums http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_56...tm.htm#5620546

I just got through doing a cowl for a FW190 and there is some bumps and curves I ended up making a 5 part mold to get the cowl out, without dammaging it, after your done with the mold and are doing the finished cowl you will be surprised how tight the finished project is to get out, its pretty cool popping off the mold to see your finished production.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56959.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	1226507   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47272.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	1226508   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12076.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	1226509   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33397.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	1226510  
Old 06-29-2009, 11:43 AM
rogerswin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bigtim,

I thank you for your advice. I will make a three-part mold. I also will purchase some mat figerglass as you suggest. This will be my first experience making a mold. So far it has been fun. I can hardly wait for the finish product to come out of the mold! Once again, I appreciate you taking the time to help.

Roger
Old 06-29-2009, 07:35 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no problem glad to pass on any info to help, I have had plenty from the forums myself