Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
Reload this Page >

Building foam core wings

Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Building foam core wings

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 10:14 AM
mofosheee
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building foam core wings

Dear Brothers:

Does anybody have a better technique for building wings than; [link]http://mackrc.net/patternwings2/index.htm[/link]? This is about the best tutorial that I have found. Thank you
Old 08-23-2009, 10:18 AM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts
Default RE: Building foam core wings

ORIGINAL: ****sheee

Dear Brothers:

Does anybody have a better technique for building wings than; [link]http://mackrc.net/patternwings2/index.htm[/link]? This is about the best tutorial that I have found. Thank you
Thats the best tutorial i have seen. You can skip the CF tissue though. And use the "gorilla glue" polyurethane glue (available from home depot, lowes, walmart). This stuff expands into the foam and makes for a very strong wing.
Old 08-23-2009, 02:55 PM
mofosheee
My Feedback: (4)

I appreciate your valued opinion. One last question...........I'll be using a vacuum bagging system for the first time. To the best of your knowledge, other than pulling a maximum of 7", would you agree that most all of the steps still apply?

Thank you

M0f0shee
Old 08-24-2009, 06:55 AM
CloudyIFR

****sheee,

That tutorial is excellent. I built a model called "Tinamou" that's a large flying wing. The results were excellent! I wrote a review for Radio Controlled Soaring Digest (RCSD), you can find a link to the article at www.TailwindGliders.com

Since then I've found many folks who had questions on how to Cut Foam Wings and Vacuum Bag them. I felt their pain as it seemed there wasn't any one source that would guide the user through the processes in a timely fashion. So during the the last cold Montana winter I did just that.

"A Beginner's Guide to Cutting and Bagging Foam Wings"

The reviews have been excellent, see the "Testimonials" page on my website.

If you need any help during your build please don't hesitate to send an email or post.

Have fun!
Curtis
Montana