Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

making formers

Old 11-11-2009, 12:43 AM
KHORTON
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default making formers

Does anyone have any experience or know how to make multiple copies of formers using a table router?
Old 11-11-2009, 01:07 AM
Pitts S1S
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: making formers

You would make your template out of particle board, or plywood, at least 1/2" thick. Then use a straight bit with an end bearing on it. Use some double sided carpete tape to hold your former material to the template, and route it out. The bearing on the bit will ride on the template but cut you former out.

Hope that helps you out.

Jeff
Old 11-11-2009, 01:38 AM
KHORTON
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks, I was thinking the part to be cut needs to be raised alitte above the template in order to avoid being cut however if the pattern is 1/2 tall a little taken off the top would not hurt and would still allow the end bearing to ride. After the first couple of usages it would not matter anyway as the pattern would be reliefed.
Thanks,

Any other suggestions?
Old 11-11-2009, 10:27 AM
SCALECRAFT
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And try to find a carbide router bit that has a slight spiral design for the blade positions so as to pull down as it cuts. Makes for cleaner and easier cuts.

And be careful when you come around full circle on the pattern. It will want to kickback, so hold on and watch the fingers.

i jammed my finger tip into one and tore my nail up.

now I have a compucarve to cut patterns. Cheaper than a finger. And once programed, I don't have to do it again

Steve
Old 03-08-2010, 07:47 PM
lilhachet
My Feedback: (2)

Thats when your sppossed to turn the piece arround and cut from other side.