Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
Reload this Page >

Fiberglass fuse dent repair.

Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Fiberglass fuse dent repair.

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 11:18 PM
Sessholvlaru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fiberglass fuse dent repair.

I have an old ducted fan F-104 that I am making a winter project out of. The fuse has a coat of primer that has cracked off in numerous places. I am going to strip it with Citristrip, which I read works great for this. There are two areas where the fiberglass is slightly bowed (but not broken) from something pushing on it for a long time. How can I pull these "dents?" Can I use a heat gun and try to work/push them out? One is the size of a baseball, pushed in about 1/2 inch. The other is a warped piece between two panels. Thanks. -Chris
Old 12-03-2009, 04:00 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Fiberglass fuse dent repair.

Heat should do the trick, just be careful not to burn. Be ready with a way to hold the shape until it cools off. Storing fiberglass planes in a hot car or storage container can be enough to ruin them.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:53 AM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

be VERY cautious with a heat gun because the isolated heat may cause worse warping than you allready have.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:52 PM
SCALECRAFT
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Which company 104 and how big. Is it polyester (smells like bondo or lacquer) or epoxy (no smell really).

Polyester is very fragile when old. Use extreme caution, gets brittle.

Steve
Old 12-04-2009, 09:04 PM
Sessholvlaru

It is a JD Enterprises F-104. Epoxy. It is in good condition, I am actually striping the primer on it a I type. Still flexible, just like new. Not brittle at all.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:28 PM
Sessholvlaru

Here are some shots of the damage. First is the dent. I can pop it out by hand, but it returns when I let go. I figure if worse comes to worst I can glue a sheet of wood from behind it to keep the shape. That is assuming heat won't work. Second is the twisted piece that separates the gun hatch from the front gear opening. I could probably straighten it if I glued the hatch on permanently. but I would really like to hinge it and hide charge jacks and retract valves behind it. Ideas?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22121.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	1340630   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dz81055.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	1340631   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv53892.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	1340632  
Old 12-24-2009, 11:50 AM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Sessholvlaru

Here are some shots of the damage. First is the dent. I can pop it out by hand, but it returns when I let go. I figure if worse comes to worst I can glue a sheet of wood from behind it to keep the shape. That is assuming heat won't work. Second is the twisted piece that separates the gun hatch from the front gear opening. I could probably straighten it if I glued the hatch on permanently. but I would really like to hinge it and hide charge jacks and retract valves behind it. Ideas?
You would want to go inside with a rubber pad or rubber foam pad and apply light, even pressure as you gently heat the outside with a heat gun (for monokote). The epoxy will soften slightly and allow you to remove the dent. Be careful....epoxy glass will heat up quickly and you could easily deform the surface. Work deliberately. Once you are satisfied with the shape, just hold it until it cools

MattK

BTW- I see you live in West Caldwell. Where do you fly?
Old 12-24-2009, 01:01 PM
Sessholvlaru

Thanks MTK, I figured heat was the route. I fly in Moonachie at the Hackensack Valley Flyers. This thing will never get out of that field when it is done though, will probably fly it at Floyd Bennett field. What field do you call home?