Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

buying a spraygun

Old 07-07-2003, 09:56 PM
lennyk
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buying a spraygun

Looking to buy a decent not too expensive not too cheap paint shooter. I already have a compressor.

Any suggestions and what kind of money to expect to spend ?

Thanks,

L
Old 07-07-2003, 10:15 PM
Johng
My Feedback: (4)

do a search on HVLP or WALCOM. THere's been a bit of discussion about that.

While you are reading up, I'll try to find the gun that was recently recommended in EAA's Sport Aviation magazine. It was a $40 gun that they said painted as good as their highest priced unit. I think it was a harbor frieght model. Anyway, I'll look it up.
Old 07-08-2003, 12:07 AM
Johng

Default here ya go

GO to www.harborfreight.com

On the left side is a "search by number feature. Type in 43430

You will see the HVLP detail gun referenced in Sport Aviation as a cost effective way for homebuilders to paint their full scale planes.

The current price is $69, but it's listed in the magazine as a $49 dollar gun, so maybe it'll go on sale.
Old 07-08-2003, 12:10 AM
Johng

They also have the #46719, which is a smaller gun for $15 less. That should work fine too.
Old 07-08-2003, 12:32 AM
lennyk
My Feedback: (12)

thanks
Old 07-12-2003, 02:01 PM
jdorsh

Default gun advice

I was in your shoes a few months ago looking for a good HVLP gun. With so many on the market it is difficult to choose - but let me offer my 2 cents. I recently setup a spray system in my garage. I decided to use a compressor based gun vs. a turbine system b/c I too had a compressor already. Although you can spend upward of $600 for a good gun, I chose the Astro Neumatic HVLP gun (I am not at home so I don't have the model number). The gun ran me $95.00 at a local auto supply shop.

My first project was a pair of floats for my J3 Piper Cub (you can see pictures in the Seaplane forum). As important as a good gun is the choice of paints to use. Since I wanted a glossy finish on these plus fuelproof, and waterproof, I chose to use the Dupont Chroma system with the Dupont sandable primer. After spraying the floats, I am happy to report that the gun makes a Michaelangelo out of even the most novice of painters. Good luck!

Jed