Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
Reload this Page >

Hardware Store Spray paint?

Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Hardware Store Spray paint?

Old 02-05-2010, 04:12 PM
smoknrv4
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hardware Store Spray paint?

What kinds of spray paint at the local hardware store are fuelproof (glow)?

Thanks
Old 02-07-2010, 03:35 PM
Crash-RCU

Default RE: Hardware Store Spray paint?

The only Hardware store paint that I know is fuel proof is Rustoleum, but it has to dry for about 2 weeks and then is good up to 15%. An other option is oil base spray polyurethane over your paint, but don't use over white or light colored pastels as it will turn yellow, but over yellows, reds and darker colors it works good. I have not had good luck with the water based polyurethane for fuel proofing as it has still soften up and got gooey.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:08 AM
warbirdcolors
My Feedback: (5)

I have not had good luck with the water based polyurethane for fuel proofing as it has still soften up and got gooey.
Here's a water-based polyurethane (acutally an acrylic polyurethane) that IS fuel proof with the added cross-linker (included in the price)...it dries hard

http://www.warbirdcolors.com
Old 06-30-2010, 03:12 AM
teebox11
My Feedback: (33)

You don't need to spend your allowance on fancy paints. Rustoleum products are great. AS ABOVE, DO NOT TOP COAT WITH POLYURETHANE. HOWEVER, YOU DO WANT TO TOP COAT WITH POLYCRYLIC!!!! Did I spell that correctly? ANYWAY, I use MINWAX polycrylic. IT DOES NOT TURN YELLOW OR AMBER LIKE THE URETHANES AND VERETHANES! Just remember to mist coats on with this stuff. You can tell when you are completely covered, allow to dry between coats. I get mine on generally in two coats. FUEL PROOF to include gas and jet. Enjoy!
Old 11-17-2010, 05:51 PM
sscherin
My Feedback: (1)

Just to be clear Water Based Polycryllic can be wiped clean off with glow fuel.. It can't take it even for a few seconds..
I know because I tested it.. I haven't tested it with gas or kero

Oil based Polyurethane can survive glow fuel.

Vatathane brand Water based Exterior Spar Urethane can tolerate 15% glow residue for a few hours but will become slightly tacky with prolonged exposure..
After cleaning it will firm up in a day or two..

Clean your plane after each flight and it will hold up just fine..
Old 11-17-2010, 08:16 PM

[code]Ok so...

Hardware Store Paints (Fuel Proof):
- Color Main/Trim Coat -
YES* Rustoleum, Color Paint [Except Some Metallics]
Old 11-17-2010, 09:23 PM
yankee samurai
My Feedback: (175)

I agree with sscherin, water base polycrylic is NOT fuel proof!
Old 11-18-2010, 10:49 AM
daven

I've had good luck with DupliColor paints being fuel proof.

Also be carefull, not all of rustoleum is fuel proof. I've had issues with some of their mettalics. There has also been formulation changes (that I have read about on RCU) and some of those formulations are not all fuel proof.

Test anything before you try on your project.
Old 11-18-2010, 05:46 PM

Was that the Enamel or Lacquer product?

ORIGINAL: daven
Old 12-08-2010, 12:58 PM
SeamusG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have tried to find oil-based polycrylic but every reference to polycrylic includes the phrase "cleans up with water" or "water-based". So, is the term polycrylic being used to refer to polyurethanes? Please help clarify this. Provide a link if possible.

Great info - yea, I have bumps on my forehead from "trying" non-fuel proof paints.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:15 PM
John Sohm
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: 790

Was that the Enamel or Lacquer product?

ORIGINAL: daven
I've tried both the enamel and the lacquer (aka truck paint) and only found the lacquer to be fuel proof. Makes sense since LustreKote is a lacquer.

As for the other guy who asked about the Polycrylic cleaning up with water. If it cleans with water, it's not an oil based poly. Gonna start to become difficult to find oil based anything in hardware stores in short order. Has to do with Federal regs dealing with volitiles in paint.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:52 AM
pmw

SeamusG,

MinWax polycrylic is water based and is NOT fuel proof. Good for sealing and a good filler by adding a little talcum powder. Can be covered with vitually any type paint. Polyurethane is solvent based and IS fuel proof. The only disadvantange is that it will yellow over a light finish such as white or beige. Water based paints without a "crosslinker" will never yellow, but are never fuel proof. Solvent based paints are usually fuel proof, but the clear will always yellow. Google the MinWax web sight for more info than you can imagine.

Paul
Old 02-10-2011, 05:32 PM
ron ward

you can get just about any color in the rainbow put in a rattle can at an auto paint store or parts store that sells paints. i go to my local NAPA and order thier brand of urethane in a spray balm. it cost a few bucks more but you get completely anything-proof paint in about 150 colors with all the gloss you can stand to look at. if you want depth, just shoot a few light coats of clear over it.  i know auto paints have been said to be heavy, but carefull control of the wetting will keep the weight down and the colors cover well so it doesn't take a bunch of coats to get good coverage. another good thing is that the cans sold this way are made to be used by more or less professinal shops so the spray tips are good and the pressures are high. a litttle trick is to warm the can in some hot water to get even higher pressurs, it really makes the paint flatten out. pick a primer in the same range as the color you are spraying and it helps to lessons the coats, as well.
     my son and i used to race karts and i built our chassis and sprayed them all with this paint, as well as i used make bike frames and sprayed them this way and they both looked every bit as good as any of the factory stuff.
 now-a-days they are pushing the water bourne paints. just about all of the auto industry has gone to them and they all say it's good stuff, so that's what i'm going to try when it's time to spray my current build.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:00 PM
SeamusG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Em - powder coat an airplane - emmmmm
Old 06-05-2011, 11:53 AM
Zero
My Feedback: (42)

Dave

In using the Duplicolor paint did you use the spray cans or mix with a paint spray gun? I want to paint a 60 size pattern plane and don't want to add any additional weight. Do you also spray clear over the paint?

Fred
Old 06-06-2011, 03:11 AM
daven

I use it right out of the can. Normally only for trim colors, numbers, canopy's ect.. I clear with auto clear or klasskote.
Old 06-26-2011, 04:28 PM
Pylonracr

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am joining this thread late because I usually hang out at Extreme speed prop planes.
This is easy for me sinceI paint many of the race cars I sponser. I would use a good urethane auto paint. It can be heavy, so when you get coverage, stop spraying. If you don't set the gun down until it is empty, you will add a bunch of unecessary weight. One tac coat, one wet coat to flow out and stop. If you do not own spray equipment, have the paint store that mixes the color put it in a spray can for you. There is a small charge, but it is worth it. It is a one shot deal though. The paint is catalyzed, so the hardener is in a seperate presurized chamber, usually on the bottom of the spray can. You break the seal which mixes the two, and shake to mix. The remaining paint will harden in the can in hours. This is the best paint, us it correctly and you will be very happy.

Good luck
Scott