Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
Reload this Page >

Anybody know companies that produce fiberglass and ABS parts for cowls?

Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Anybody know companies that produce fiberglass and ABS parts for cowls?

Old 02-11-2010, 03:02 PM
pirit4
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody know companies that produce fiberglass and ABS parts for cowls?

Hi,

I am designing a 60 sized Skyraider Kit. Does anybody know people that can manufacture the nose cowlings and wing cowlings for me in fiberglass? Also, what is the cost for this? I have made mold before and I know how to make them and I have cast fiberglass before, but just didn't get great results.

Also, would it be cheaper to have these made of ABS vacuum formed? I presume so. Does anybody know of manufacturers that produce these ABS cowls? what is the price range?

Why do people prefer fiberglass over ABS? I never had any issues with my ABS Cowls, although they seem a bit heavier.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:33 PM
Ken Kehlet
My Feedback: (89)

Default RE: Anybody know companies that produce fiberglass and ABS parts for cowls?

Hi Pirit4

Try www.fiberglassspecialtiesinc.com Good luck.
Ken
Old 02-27-2010, 03:35 AM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Anybody know companies that produce fiberglass and ABS parts for cowls?

I have purchased several parts from stans http://stansfibertech.com/ there under new ownership but should be up and running fairly soon give them a shout there parts are good quality
Old 02-28-2010, 08:59 AM
crashwrench

Hello Pirit4,

I second the motion for - www.fiberglassspecialtiesinc.com [sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif] .

Hope this helps,
Later,
Mark K.

P.S. Hi Ken K.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:08 AM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: pirit4

Hi,

I am designing a 60 sized Skyraider Kit. Does anybody know people that can manufacture the nose cowlings and wing cowlings for me in fiberglass? Also, what is the cost for this? I have made mold before and I know how to make them and I have cast fiberglass before, but just didn't get great results.

Also, would it be cheaper to have these made of ABS vacuum formed? I presume so. Does anybody know of manufacturers that produce these ABS cowls? what is the price range?

Why do people prefer fiberglass over ABS? I never had any issues with my ABS Cowls, although they seem a bit heavier.
Fiberglass reinforced epoxy is superior to ABS is every practical way...lighter, stronger, holds shape better and last far longer.

Generally, poor results molding glassparts come from poor prep. First, the plug you make the mold from should be as well finished as possible. Mirror finish is best. One good way to achieve this is to finish the plug and then spray it with clear epoxy paint such as KlassKote. After a few days of curing, polish the plug with Finnesse It or equiv.

Waxing the plug is critical. I use Partz All, at least 5 coats with buffing in between.

Now you're ready to make the mold

Once the mold is made, it needs to also be polished with Finnesse It to a mirror shine and then at least 5 buffed coats of Partz All parting wax for initial break in of the mold.

Use a high quality laminating epoxy such as West Systems, my favorite Pro Set, MGS, or AeroMarine (JGreer). Make sure the part is well cured before trying to pull it

Good molds require lots of elbow grease. Casual effort will often result in poor outcomes

MattK