Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Fiberglass

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 09:56 PM
GTMUSTANGCS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fiberglass

Can wings be covered with fiberglass if the wing is not completly covered with balsa (area between ribs not covered with balsa)?
Old 04-03-2010, 10:24 PM
frequent flyer
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Fiberglass

no
Old 04-04-2010, 12:35 AM
GTMUSTANGCS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks
Old 04-04-2010, 05:42 AM
Bundubasher

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes you can, I measure out a sheet of very light glasscloth (25 gram/m2) and cut it slightly bigger than the top and bottom of each wing TOGETHER (not separate), then soak it with epoxy and put it between 2 sheets of Mylar (slightly bigger than the glasscloth) and then put everything between 2 x 6mm laminated sheets of glass (620mm x 800mm which was offcuts of a large window I replaced). Then put it on a level surface and leave it. Remember to wax the Mylar sheets. When cured, you have a flexible but strong epoxied "flat sheet",cut itto size (top and bottom in 1 piece), give the balsa wing a light coat of epoxy diluted a touch with methylated spirit and wrap the sheet around the wing and tape in place/ vacuum bag. When cured, trim wingtips if required and add mould wingtips. See pics of a Sig WONDER I've done that way. In this WONDERI've covered up to the wingtips, then applied sanding sealer to the exposed balsa wingtips, sanded it and spraypainted the whole thing. Being flat panels, I've coated the fuse and tail feathers of this WONDER as well with light glasscloth sandwitched between the Mylar/Glass sheets. There is a video on You tube showing it flying.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tq48491.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	1411505