Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Miapoxy 100 Vs. MGS

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 03:05 PM
Scorpion Racing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Miapoxy 100 Vs. MGS

I ran across this ad for Miapoxy 100 and was curious if anyone out there has used it for molds or even part lay-ups.

[link=http://www.miapoxy.com/p-26-miapoxy-100-epoxy-laminating-system-clear.aspx]Miapoxy[/link]

It seems to have good physical properties (even a Shore D hardness of 90!), but I am wondering about its UV protection and yellowing potential. This resin system would be used for Q500 & Q40 airplanes and molds, so strength is a must. I like to do my q500 wings clear with the wood showing, so the last thing I want is it to yellow on me. MGS is my all time favorite resin system, but this one seems to have some potential with a lower price, harder surface & no haz-mat charges.

Anyone ever used it for tooling or production?

Thanks,
Old 07-07-2010, 03:37 PM
boater
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Miapoxy 100 Vs. MGS

First time I've seen Miapoxy anywhere. If Freeman is picking it up and opening up it's offerings to the consumer , instead of just servicing industry, I think that is great news for modelers. They have stuff I haven't seen available anywhere else. I understand your caution, somehow great specs don't translate to the product. Rudy
Old 07-08-2010, 11:26 AM
Scorpion Racing

Thanks Rudy, I like the idea of being able to purchase from Freeman in hobby sized quantities too. I guess I should have included the specifications for the resin system so everyone could view it, so here it is. It seems to me like the Miapoxy 100/95 would work as well (or even better) than my MGS 285 with the fast hardener. The gel time is a few minutes shorter, but 38 minutes to 45 minutes is pretty close.

Has anyone tried this resin system for modeling?

Thanks,
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Qo38765.pdf (34.9 KB, 10 views)
Old 07-09-2010, 10:51 AM
Randy Etken
My Feedback: (10)

The problem I see is the deflection temp-128 F. If you paint a dark color and leave in the Florida sun, you will have a problem.

Randy
Old 07-09-2010, 03:39 PM
Scorpion Racing

I see your point, Randy. [&o] Glad you chimed in, I was set to order some tonight and it probably would have been a disappointment like that J Greer crap! The 605-45 or 690 is a higher deflection temp, but I want a clear resin not a white one. What would you suggest (or are you using now!!) with a hard surface multi-use resin system?

Thanks,
Old 07-11-2010, 10:51 AM
Randy Etken
My Feedback: (10)

I am still paying the high price for MGS as I can not find anything that works as good. Used West epoxy for a fuse once and painted dark red, set in plane in the sun and the battery started to sag out the bottom. Now I alway check for the deflection temp.
Randy
Old 07-11-2010, 12:04 PM
gltruett
My Feedback: (23)

I have had good success with this system: http://www.resinservices.com/custom....4&Productid=34
It's not the least expensive but for over 10 years we have gotten consistently good results.

George T
Old 07-12-2010, 03:41 PM
boater

ORIGINAL: gltruett

I have had good success with this system: http://www.resinservices.com/custom....4&Productid=34
It's not the least expensive but for over 10 years we have gotten consistently good results.

George T
And your application??
Old 07-13-2010, 12:41 AM
gltruett
My Feedback: (23)

Rudy,

We do typical wet layups, mostly vintage pattern planes. The people who told me about this resin were very involved in pylon racing. I know dozens of Q-40 fuselages and hollow core wings have been made with HTR 212. I have thickened it a little with cabosil and used it for sheeting foam cores with balsa and obechi. I have also used it for glassing with .6 oz cloth and it worked surprisingly well. All in all a very versatile resin and Resin Services has always been friendly and helpful. I use a lot of their products including the tooling resin and tooling dough. I have no interest in this company aside from using their resins.

George T
Old 07-13-2010, 09:39 PM
boater

That's pretty good references it's always good to know where people are coming from. Heck, one guy does full size stuff and likes Greer's resin.

I still have this guys web page in my favorites I have never used him and never even talked to him, it's been a while so they even may be out of business. They have hardeners that no one else has, with unusual specs. Maybe somebody here would want to phone them and see if what they got is suitable for you pylon guys. http://avtcomposites.com/index.php3
Old 07-14-2010, 09:05 AM
Scorpion Racing

OK, sorry about the J. Greer remark, it is more of "not ideal for my usage" than not a good product for general use! I bought it and tried various layups including fiberglass to fiberglass, balsa to fiberglass, making fiberglass sheeting and even a foam core wing panel with fiberglass, balsa, foam and carbon fiber. I was comparing the results to MGS, which is a tall order in itself! It produced a more flexible product in every test, and I would say it was about comparable to West system, just a touch less rigid. My trailing edges taper to a sharp point and are very stiff with MGS, but every other system I have tried is too flexible for my use so far. I may try sending some of these epoxy companies some specifics I am looking for and see what they think will work for my needs. I will try your link too boater, thanks.

Here are some pics of what I am doing and why I need it stiff as I can get it, without being brittle. The trailing edges end up being 2 layers of 1.4 oz. cloth, a wafer of balsa and 2 additional layers of .5 oz. cloth. So the fiberglass to fiberglass & fiberglass to balsa rigid bonds are paramount to me.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99415.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	162.0 KB
ID:	1467691   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31496.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	1467692   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm22464.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	152.1 KB