Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
Reload this Page >

CARBON FIBER PROPELLERS

Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

CARBON FIBER PROPELLERS

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 10:22 AM
1UGLYPUG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CARBON FIBER PROPELLERS

HAS ANYONE EVER SHORTENED A CARBON FIBER PROPELLER? I KNOW YOU CAN CUT WING TUBES, SO WHY NOT PROPS? I GOT ONE FOR 37 BUCKS,, COULD NOT PASS IT UP, AS THE REGULAR PRICE WAS 120 BUCKS. IT SAT ON THE SHELF FOR A LONG TIME, AS THEY COULD NOT SELL IT,,, I WANT TO PUT IT ON MY GIANT SCALE TOP FLITE CORSAIR, YOU HAVE TO HAVE A 3 BLADE TO LOOK RIGHT,,,, I NEED TO CUT IT DOWN TO ABOUT A 24 OR 26 INCH DIAMETER, AND I KNOW HOW HARD IT IS TO BALANCE A 3 BLADE PROP,,, I HAVE ONE ON MY SIXTY SIZE. IF I CAN'T SHORTEN IT, IT WILL STILL BE USEFUL FOR STATIC DISPLAY,,,, I HAVE AN ELEC 65 CC EQUIVALENT MOTOR THAT TAKES ABOUT A 26 SIZE 2 BLADE PROP,,,, HOPE I CAN MAKE THIS WORK. THANKS,,,
Old 07-25-2010, 10:32 AM
jdeluyck
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: CARBON FIBER PROPELLERS

Generally speaking, Carbon fiber propellors are hollow.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:45 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

what size prop is it now?
Old 07-26-2010, 12:02 AM
1UGLYPUG

Well,,, I did leave off that important bit of info,,, It is now a 28x12 prop. I sure hope this thing is not hollow,,, That will just about end any thoughts of shortening it. It is quite solid feeling and heavy. It is a MEJZLIK ,,, MODELLBAU. I really don't see how it could be hollow, but I have no knowledge about them at all. Seems I do remember seeing one broken one thrown in the garbage one time, and it was quite solid. Oh well,,,, One can only hope,,, Thanks for the info.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:53 AM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

continuous strand CF speed props certainly aren't hollow.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:26 AM
1UGLYPUG

Now that gives me some hope,,, but, have you ever seen one shortened? or repaired after one end was nicked,, and had to be cleaned up, and balanced by taking some off the other end?? Is it possible with out hurting the integrity of the whole thing?? Seems to me it would be ok to do, but I would like to know if anyone has seen it done, before I try it and then try to fly with it. Thanks again for the help.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:02 AM
krayzc-RCU

for what u have in it why dont you sell it for about 75 bucks and use that money to buy the size u need?
Old 07-26-2010, 06:28 PM
wkevinm

Pylon racers use carbon fiber props, injection molded. These props turn in excess of 23,000 RPM but are very small diameter (approximately 8") compared to what you are using, they are sometimes shortened. I have recently seen one that had a small nick near the end repaired with CA and micro-balloons, although I am sure no one would endorse such a repair. Personally I would not hesitate to shorten a CF prop from what I have seen if needed.

wkevinm
Old 07-26-2010, 07:33 PM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mejzliks are hollow. They have a solid hub and hollow blades.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:32 PM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i have a couple of 9x10 racing props that are solid strand. i got the from rocketbob here on RCU.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:08 PM
1UGLYPUG

This thing was in the hobby shop for months on the half price table for 75 bucks and no one wanted it. I waited to see if it would come down, and thought I was lucky to get it at 37 bucks. I don't know where I could get 75 bucks out of it. I will probably just use it for a static display prop if nothing else. Jeff H said this type of prop is hollow. I just wonder if that is the smaller ones that are hollow, or does he know about one this big? Were those racing props 2 or 3 blade? I may just have to keep it for static display. Thanks for all the help and info guys. Looks like it will be a two blade wooden prop for me now.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:50 PM
krayzc-RCU

i beat with the da-120 u could sell it very easy
Old 07-28-2010, 12:07 PM
Gremlin Castle
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: 1UGLYPUG

Well,,, I did leave off that important bit of info,,, It is now a 28x12 prop. I sure hope this thing is not hollow,,, That will just about end any thoughts of shortening it. It is quite solid feeling and heavy. It is a MEJZLIK ,,, MODELLBAU. I really don't see how it could be hollow, but I have no knowledge about them at all. Seems I do remember seeing one broken one thrown in the garbage one time, and it was quite solid. Oh well,,,, One can only hope,,, Thanks for the info.
I use 2 blade Mejzliks in both 26 and 32 inch sizes. They do have a solid hub and a partially hollow blade.
That being said, it is possible to trim 1 inch plus from the tips and still not get into the hollow portion of the blade. However, you will be destroying the tip profile that makes the Mejzlik what it is for efficiency and lower noise while producing high thrust levels.

Good luck with you venture.