Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
Reload this Page >

repairing a brand new cowl

Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

repairing a brand new cowl

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 05:04 PM
crash bandicoute

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default repairing a brand new cowl

i recently purchased a cowl from fiberglass specialties for a smith mini kit by sig. there is a very prominent step between the 2 halves on the top and was wondering if that can be evened out using epoxy and microballoons. and do i need to do anything other than rough up the surface with some light sanding paper for something for the epoxy jazz to bite to? also, am i going to have issues later down the road with it eventually coming loose or cracking the paint?
Old 07-29-2010, 07:38 AM
R8893
My Feedback: (20)

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: repairing a brand new cowl

I also had to repair a new cowl from Fiberglass Specialties. Different problem, but I sure was disappointed with their quality.

I think your repair plan will work out fine as long as they put a joiner strip of glass inside the seam. In addition to sanding, I would clean with laquer thinnner to make sure any mold release was gone. As a bit of insurance you could put a layer of light weight glass cloth on the outside after you fill the step. This should help prevent the crack developing.

Chuck
Old 09-02-2010, 11:38 AM
degray
My Feedback: (15)

I'm repairing a set of fiberglass wheel paints and would like to get some of the light, very easy to sand filler I have used before but can't recall the name. It is a light blue and comes in a large tube. Does anyone recall the name and/or brand and where I might pickup some. Thanks, Don
Old 09-02-2010, 01:20 PM
Scorpion Racing

Evercoat comes in a blue can, and dries to a cyan ~ kinda blue color. It is a very smooth polyester glaze that feathers to a fine edge. I think that may be the name you are after.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:02 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

ORIGINAL: degray

I'm repairing a set of fiberglass wheel paints and would like to get some of the light, very easy to sand filler I have used before but can't recall the name. It is a light blue and comes in a large tube. Does anyone recall the name and/or brand and where I might pickup some. Thanks, Don
Any place that sells auto paint supplies will have some type of spot putty,, I've even seen it at Pep Boys and Wally World