Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

What do I use

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 11:46 PM
perdo
My Feedback: (61)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do I use

I am assembling a GeeBee Model Y and I have the smooth cowling for the engine. I want to put the blisters on the cowl and have a mold to make them with. My question is what ist he best material to use for solid construction and what do I use for a release to make sure I can get them out fo the mold.? My Mold is made of fiberglass and seems to have a smooth surface on the hollow side, I was thinking of using epoxy with micro ballons, for the blisters and some type of release agent. I got this model and mold from an estate of a scalemodler, and can't ask him questions anylonger.

Thanks Don//
Old 07-30-2010, 12:19 AM
mithrandir
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: What do I use

You can use good old Carnuba automotive wax as a release...also you can use PVA... I like the wax.....

you could use say... two layers of 7781 glas... one ply +/- 45 degrees the other ply 0-90 degrees maybe... why would you fill it up to be solid???

if you need extra weight in the nose... fill a few of the blisters up with a slurry of epoxy and lead shot.....

you can use Z-Poxy from House of Balsa .. the 30 minute if you work really fast or the finishing resin if you wanna take your time....

Aircraft Spruce and Specialty is a decent source for composite materials....
Old 07-30-2010, 05:55 AM
frequent flyer
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Let me give you a little hint ... If you are making a cowl with blisters , make the mold in thirds and spray PVA on you partall waxed plug or it won't come out.
Old 08-01-2010, 03:27 PM
BBW Walt
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Several years ago a buddy of mine did this with plastic spoons. He went to a party store and found what he wanted and cut the handles off each one and glued these to the outside of the cowl. He did glass each one using PVC cement with 1/2 ounce cloth before he attached the spoons. It looked great when it was done.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:08 AM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: perdo

I am assembling a GeeBee Model Y and I have the smooth cowling for the engine. I want to put the blisters on the cowl and have a mold to make them with. My question is what ist he best material to use for solid construction and what do I use for a release to make sure I can get them out fo the mold.? My Mold is made of fiberglass and seems to have a smooth surface on the hollow side, I was thinking of using epoxy with micro ballons, for the blisters and some type of release agent. I got this model and mold from an estate of a scalemodler, and can't ask him questions anylonger.

Thanks Don//
Don,

The best release wax out there is Part All, bar none. Two or three coats is all it takes and it does not need PVA.

I used PVA for years on my molds until someone suggested I try Part All. I did and the results have been fantastic. Heck I find that unprepped, plain old wood treated with PartAll will release epoxy easily.

Try it....you will not be disappointed