RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Composites Fabrication And Repair (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/composites-fabrication-repair-97/)
-   -   Kit carwax mold release (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/composites-fabrication-repair-97/10136512-kit-carwax-mold-release.html)

henschel 11-15-2010 11:34 AM

Kit carwax mold release

Guys save your money on special mold release products. Just released glass from small plug made. Perfect? Product used. $5.00 can of Kit carnuba car wax. 6 coats came out perfect. Plug was for small gun fairing for F-105. Friend of mine said use carnuba carwax. So save your money go buy Kit carwax and wax the hell out of your plugs and they will come out awesome. Woo hoo.

Foxman 01-01-2011 08:14 AM

RE: Kit carwax mold release

I think the proper mold release wax is just carnuba the same.
If you can save money that's good.
The first coat is what does 90% of the wax impregnation, doing 6 doesn't add that much but if it works?
I have used 1 coat and it worked ok. The secret is what goes onto the wax and how long it takes to go off.
Jim

dreadnaut 01-02-2011 10:13 PM

At fifteen bucks, Partall ain't that bad. Tried Kit Wax once. One ruined mold later, the good news was that the Kit Wax still worked good on my car. It is NOT the same stuff.

TexasThermalKing 01-04-2011 02:20 PM

Dreadnaut's advice comes from experience. My advice matches his. Buy mold release products that are made to resist the chemical penetration of epoxy solvents, or fiberglass resin solvents. Your final results will be better over a very long time, with a seasoned mold, that has repeated coats of proper release agents. A single can of Partall will last a long time. It's a small expense to get the best results.

When doing layup of large 10 foot wide by 20 foot long flat sheets, on slick, glossy, formica topped laminate tables....you can get away with just a good coat of carnuba wax....even plain old Johnson's furniture wax. When you get into molds with multiple curves, tight halfrounds, long slender sections....the best release agents get you two things.
1. You get a clean shiny part, out of the mold. 2. Your mold is ready to go again with a quick coat and buff.

Have fun, John:D

MTK 01-05-2011 03:42 PM

ORIGINAL: Foxman

I think the proper mold release wax is just carnuba the same.
If you can save money that's good.
The first coat is what does 90% of the wax impregnation, doing 6 doesn't add that much but if it works?
I have used 1 coat and it worked ok. The secret is what goes onto the wax and how long it takes to go off.
Jim

A good mold release such as PartAll and regular car wax are not the same stuff. You might get away with car wax on something small but forget it if the molded part is large and with compound curves.

Once you use Part All, you will understand.

In my experience, even regular wax designed for molds requires a bunch of coats......6 is a good number to start on a fresh mold. With car wax there's no telling how many coats are needed. PartAll requires fewer coats for a clean release...I usually coat the mold 4X prior to lay-up, either with PVA or without