RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Composites Fabrication And Repair (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/composites-fabrication-repair-97/)
-   -   where to buy fiberglass materials near San Bernardino (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/composites-fabrication-repair-97/10397507-where-buy-fiberglass-materials-near-san-bernardino.html)

amtpdb 03-13-2011 01:02 PM

where to buy fiberglass materials near San Bernardino

Hi:
Does anyone know of places near San Bernardino Ca. where you can buy fiberglass materials? I am looking for a supplier of Partall #10 and epoxy fillers,etc.
The shipping seems to be a large part of pricing so I would like to be able to pick up the items locally.
Thanks for any responses.

Don

dreadnaut 03-13-2011 04:02 PM

RE: where to buy fiberglass materials near San Bernardino

Aircraft Spruce. I believe they are in Ontario or Chino. There is also CSTstore.com. The shipping is pretty fast.

amtpdb 03-13-2011 04:08 PM

Dave:
Thanks.
CST has the shipping for the partall almost for what the gallon of the mix is. It would be almost 45.00 a gallon! I have found it for as low as 16.00 plus shipping but by the time it is done, it is back about the same. It looks like everyone checks the shipping and cost of others and adjust to about the same!
ACS charges alot compared to prices else-ware. I am an a&p and do buy from them at times.

Thanks again.
Don

mainbeam225 03-13-2011 05:27 PM

Aircraft Spruce is in Corona, just off of the 91 fwy.

Ron

SCALECRAFT 03-18-2011 10:34 AM

S&W plastics is carrying partall now.

Steve

amtpdb 03-18-2011 05:13 PM

Steve:
Thanks. I went by there on Tuesday on the way home from work to check, the partall was only 18.75 for a gallon! I also purchased there wax.

Thanks for the response.

Don

CoosBayLumber 03-19-2011 12:53 PM

ORIGINAL: SCALECRAFT

S&W plastics is carrying partall now.

Steve
I got a gallon there too, from either the Riverside store (downtown) or the S.B. (south downtown) one.

The both have the resins, and the epoxies there in stock or you may have to drive to the biggie store in Ontario.

Wm.

CoosBayLumber 03-19-2011 12:57 PM

ORIGINAL: amtpdb

Steve:
Thanks. I went by there on Tuesday on the way home from work to check, the partall was only 18.75 for a gallon! I also purchased there wax.

Thanks for the response.

Don
Which style of wax did you get? Their spray on or the canned Meguirs?

And they are nailing you on the jug of PVA. Was only $4.95 on my first visit.

Wm.

amtpdb 03-19-2011 01:00 PM

HI:
You got a 1 gallon jug of partall #10 for 5.00! That is a great price! Which store was that at and how long ago? I bought the partall #2 wax.

Don

CoosBayLumber 03-20-2011 07:07 AM

I think the Partall #10 jug used to be made to north of Los Angeles. I goy it via Riverside store. I used to work up street off of University near to the black box county building. So was easy and handy for me to visit during lunch hour. The whole firm was pretty well comitted over to water beds at the time, instead of what I was in to. I think at the time, S&W Plastics had like 12 stores open. The Ontario WH was NEVER open for the public.

The parting stuff you got may be too thick. Hastings out of Colton used to make the stuff for them, and it was only available in some aerosol can. That same can put the wax on too thick, made lumps and bumps in the surface, so then got a $7 can of the Meguirs at Riverside store and did as their fiberglassing poop sheet said to. You may need a piece of Cheesecloth and a can of Meguirs now.

I used cheap and easy Flowquil (their $1 special colors too) to seal up the pores in the boat hulls, made of Plaster of Paris, then 4,5,6, layers of wax. The casting mix-up took like 1/2 hour out in the lawn area, then pour and walk away, for you are done then. All this took 1/2 hour per day for preparation, BEFORE I could make my first casting. I know, I know, come home from work, lay up the moulds and then go inside the hosue.

Wm.