RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Composites Fabrication And Repair (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/composites-fabrication-repair-97/)
-   -   carbon fiber tape (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/composites-fabrication-repair-97/10615599-carbon-fiber-tape.html)

seattle_helo 07-10-2011 09:22 PM

carbon fiber tape

Looking for a good source of carbon fiber tape in small quantities. Ideally something like a 2" width that's 6' long. Seems to be a lot of suppliers of large rolls but can't seem to find any small stuff. Any suggestions?

aethertek 07-23-2011 10:42 PM

RE: carbon fiber tape

http://www.acp-composites.com/home.php?cat=4806

Kevin~

seattle_helo 07-24-2011 08:45 AM

I have found a few other sources but didn't know about ACP so that's great. Good prices too. Thanks for that, Kevin.

wyowindworks 07-24-2011 10:24 AM

Are you looking for woven tape or uni-directional tape?

Here is another option: Soller Composite UD Tape and Biaxial Tape

seattle_helo 07-24-2011 05:52 PM

I'm not certain but I think woven. I'm looking to reinforce 90 degree corner joint areas of fiberglass to fiberglass and fiberglass to wood formers. I was hoping to get some CF tape that was in the same configuration as fiberglass cloth.

wyowindworks 07-24-2011 09:44 PM

ORIGINAL: seattle_helo

I'm not certain but I think woven. I'm looking to reinforce 90 degree corner joint areas of fiberglass to fiberglass and fiberglass to wood formers. I was hoping to get some CF tape that was in the same configuration as fiberglass cloth.
In these situations glass can sometimes perform better due to it's higher strain characteristics. Why use carbon? If the rest of the structure is glass why not just use glass?

seattle_helo 07-24-2011 10:13 PM

Please understand that I'm not familiar with any of this very well. My understanding was that CF would give me more strength and more rigidity over fiberglass. Is that incorrect? If so, what would be a good use of CF tape or cloth?

JRgraham 07-25-2011 08:03 AM

ORIGINAL: wyowindworks

In these situations glass can sometimes perform better due to it's higher strain characteristics. Why use carbon? If the rest of the structure is glass why not just use glass?

Im no scientist, but Iwould use the Carbon Fiber in the areas you mentioned too... More important than the fiber [match] here, Ithink you really want to make sure you match the glue agent used. If your laminating anything to exsisting fiberglass, use the same agent the fiberglass has already; Epoxy to epoxy, or glass resin to resin. (someone may argue or add to this)

Although wyowindworks is correct, there is probly no reason to use carbon to reinforce an already glassed area. Some triangle stock, and another layer of glass cloth would be sufficeint. Carbon looks nicer though ;) and is by all means, stronger.

wyowindworks 07-25-2011 10:04 AM

ORIGINAL: Shimano

ORIGINAL: wyowindworks

Im no scientist, but Iwould use the Carbon Fiber in the areas you mentioned too... More important than the fiber [match] here, Ithink you really want to make sure you match the glue agent used. If your laminating anything to exsisting fiberglass, use the same agent the fiberglass has already; Epoxy to epoxy, or glass resin to resin. (someone may argue or add to this)

Although wyowindworks is correct, there is probly no reason to use carbon to reinforce an already glassed area. Some triangle stock, and another layer of glass cloth would be sufficeint. Carbon looks nicer though ;) and is by all means, stronger.
If the structure fails in some other area besides the joint, then making a stronger joint won't create a stronger structure. Carbon is stronger for it's weight (tensile & compression) and stiffer so in theory one could build a lighter joint ouf of carbon. In reality this doesn't always pan out. For example: 2.2 ounce 1K carbon isn't strong enough and 5.7 ounce 3K carbon is stronger than neccessary. 3 ounce carbon is unavailable. 4 ounce s-glass is strong enough (structure fails before the joint). Which material can be used to make the lightest sufficient joint? The glass.

Also the stiffer carbon joint can localize the stress in the more flexible glass laminates right at the edge of the carbon overlap. This stress riser can propogate an early structural failure. A properly constructed glass joint, with it's better strain properties, can allow the joint/structure to flex so the stress is more evenly distributed throughout the entire structure.

Carbon, though stronger, is also more prone to fracturing when impacted than glass. You could always just do some simple tests to see which performs best. The testing should be done on the entire structure under it's intended use not just a direct joint test. Again, the point isn't to make the strongest joint but rather the strongest structure.

Epoxy will bond better to cured laminates regardless of the resin used to make the laminate. Polyester can have bonding issues even to itself. Epoxy will also handle the strain in the joint better than polester.