RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Composites Fabrication And Repair (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/composites-fabrication-repair-97/)
-   -   personal fav covering (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/composites-fabrication-repair-97/11067034-personal-fav-covering.html)

nitro208ca 05-03-2012 11:16 AM

personal fav covering

<span style="font-size: medium">I'am going to be building the p-51 mustang balsa kit from tower hobbies.I know that there is about 6 different type of coverings I.E
silkspan, iron on plastic/fabric, fiberglass, etc,etc

Iwas just woundering what ppl prefer as a covering

Im... <u>not.....</u> asking what type i should use, ....just asking what kind you guys/gals use.

Their are so many options out there , it's blowing my mind hahahaa</span>

rmenke 05-03-2012 04:25 PM

RE: personal fav covering

Nitro:

Silkspan was of cource the original covering we used in the 60-70's.

Monocoat came out and the original was decent. They have been reducing quality from time to time to the point I will not use it any longer. Yes they increased their profit margin, the stuff is now junk in my opinion.

Have been using ultracoat for the past 10-15 years or so, decent price, sticks and shrinks well, durable. Great for most uses.

When haing to go light weight, check with the guys flying electrics. Some brands are ok, others a real pain to get down right.

There is a fabric looking product out there, very heavy, expensive, and a joy to use. If you can not do a good job with this stuff, best shoot yourself. Sorry, name will not come up. ENJOY

vicman 05-03-2012 05:26 PM

I prefer Ultracote over Monocote but use both.
Lately I have been using fiberglass and automotive paint. I like that the best.

rmenke 05-03-2012 06:23 PM

Nitro:

Silkspan was of cource the original covering we used in the 60-70's.

Monocoat came out and the original was decent. They have been reducing quality from time to time to the point I will not use it any longer. Yes they increased their profit margin, the stuff is now junk in my opinion.

Have been using ultracoat for the past 10-15 years or so, decent price, sticks and shrinks well, durable. Great for most uses.

When haing to go light weight, check with the guys flying electrics. Some brands are ok, others a real pain to get down right.

There is a fabric looking product out there, very heavy, expensive, and a joy to use. If you can not do a good job with this stuff, best shoot yourself. Sorry, name will not come up. ENJOY

Soaring Steve 05-03-2012 08:08 PM

On my powered planes I prefer to fiberglass and paint. It is a lot more work, but I enjoy painting and trying new graphics with my airbrush.

For my sailplanes I usually glass and paint the fuselage and use ultracoat on the wings and other open areas. Ive found it to be much easier to apply than monokote.

k12rc 05-04-2012 07:51 AM

ORIGINAL: vicman

I prefer Ultracote over Monocote but use both.
Lately I have been using fiberglass and automotive paint. I like that the best.
same here

Iron Dog 08-04-2012 10:45 PM

When I don't wish to fiberglass, my iron-on covering material of choice is Solartex.

It covers at low temerature; can usually be applied without denting wood even without an iron sock; takes complex curves better than anything else I've used in 17 years of modeling; will not bubble-up later, <u>if</u> applied properly; and takes paint/masking/etc. extremely well. (Especially, when usingthe color identified as "Natural".)

It is a little heavier than Monokote, Ultracote, and similar, but is substantially stronger and more durable, as well. For example, when I've landed in the weeds, and my wing leading edge hits the stems, the flowers at the top regularly punch holes through the open bays covered by Monokote and Ultracote; but, not through my wings covered with Solartex. In my opinion, the minor penalty in weight is well more than made up for with all its other attributes!