RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Composites Fabrication And Repair (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/composites-fabrication-repair-97/)
-   -   sanding through glass (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/composites-fabrication-repair-97/11282244-sanding-through-glass.html)

dbsonic 10-31-2012 10:44 AM

sanding through glass

Any help would be appreciated. I have a situation where I built up too much glass and resin (cured now)close to the on the leading edge of a wing. The profile is critical to maintain and I need to sand down through the glass.

I know it sounds ugly but if the cloth is well saturated it should sand out right? The concern is the fraying that might occur and how to hide???

I am not as much concerned about the structure here as it will only be a small portion. Schedule in this area was 3oz+1.4oz+1.4oz+0.7oz with 0.7 at the surface. So that's about 6.5oz of glass and will probably need to go down to the 3oz base layer.

ByLoudDesign 10-31-2012 11:10 AM

RE: sanding through glass

To correct the fraying cloth fibers, use a thinned out mixture of the resin or epoxy and lightly coat the area. Allow it to cure totally and then sand off the stiffened fuzz!

wyowindworks 10-31-2012 02:11 PM

If you use nice sharp sandpaper you shouldn't have any fraying issues. Use some fine grit to finish it off. Get ready to itch. :)

speedracerntrixie 10-31-2012 06:18 PM

ORIGINAL: dbsonic

Any help would be appreciated. I have a situation where I built up too much glass and resin (cured now)close to the on the leading edge of a wing. The profile is critical to maintain and I need to sand down through the glass.

I know it sounds ugly but if the cloth is well saturated it should sand out right? The concern is the fraying that might occur and how to hide???

I am not as much concerned about the structure here as it will only be a small portion. Schedule in this area was 3oz+1.4oz+1.4oz+0.7oz with 0.7 at the surface. So that's about 6.5oz of glass and will probably need to go down to the 3oz base layer.

If you need assistance we are in the same city. I pretty much have a full on composites shop in my garage.

dbsonic 10-31-2012 06:53 PM

Thanks, I'am about to give it a shot here. I think it will work out okay.

Been a while since I was building and got a little rusty with my skills "glassing and bagging" and let the mylar ride a little too high on the LE.

speedracerntrixie 10-31-2012 07:23 PM

OK so you are a sailplane guy. South Bay Soaring member?

Bozarth 10-31-2012 08:31 PM

ORIGINAL: dbsonic

...The concern is the fraying that might occur and how to hide???

Hit it with some CA. It's what I do and it works fine. Then sand some more with some high grit.

Kurt

dbsonic 10-31-2012 09:53 PM

SBSS. Long ago, yes. Still have some projects that need wings. Big scale jobbers. I wonder if anybody in SBSS would want to buy the fuselages.

Anyways, it seems to have worked out okay. Had to be careful not to sand down too far. But with good saturation of all the glass layers it seems to have wet sanded down alright and no fraying. Little bit of touch-up and now a coating of primer.

dbsonic 10-31-2012 09:54 PM

Thanks everyone for the input. Normally you dont want to sand into the glass but interesting to know it can be done intentionally.