RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Composites Fabrication And Repair (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/composites-fabrication-repair-97/)
-   -   For Speedracer (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/composites-fabrication-repair-97/11362095-speedracer.html)

JPGale 01-08-2013 04:16 PM

For Speedracer

Hey Speed/All,

I want to get a vacuum bagging setup, I know speed has said to me before he has a system that I can put together cheap. Speed do you have that information, I have tried to PM you not been out to the field much lately.

Anybody have any suggestions.

James

vicman 01-08-2013 05:35 PM

RE: For Speedracer

I'm not SRT but a vac system is fairly easy to build using an old fridge compressor and a vacuum limit switch. That's how I did mine.
Since then I picked up an ACP unit that works very well for wings. However it only pulls 8# and isn't quite strong enough for my taste when doing straight carbon layups. That said it's a great product and they make one with a little higher rating that would do everything. Mine is just a little smaller and a great deal when I bought it.;)

speedracerntrixie 01-08-2013 05:57 PM

James, I sent a reply with a bill of materials via PM and to your email. Not sure why you didn't get them but the best thing is for you to give me a call and we can make plans to get together and I can show you my setup and give you some insights on bagging wings or whatever else you may want to do.

509-4459

sensei 01-08-2013 06:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
However it only pulls 8#?

Not sure what pump system you will end up with but if you are vacuum debulking sheeted styrofoam cores you do not want to be anything much over about 5" hg or you will most likely crush your core. Now if you are performing a solid laminate, a laminate with structural PVC core, or a laminate with honeycomb core then you really want your vacuum at a minimum of around 22" hg and the closer you get to 29" hg the better. Here is what happens with just a tad too much vacuum on a sheeted styrofoam wing panel.

Bob

JPGale 01-10-2013 11:51 AM

Thanks Speed, I will call you tomorrow night (friday)

vicman 01-10-2013 07:19 PM

Sensi, I do quite a few Q500 wings a year as well as bulk layups of carbon. I have to turn the fridge pump down quite a bit or it will crush the core as you mentioned. The ACP pump I have is perfect for foam jobs but not quite up to task for bagging wood core tail sections.;)

sensei 01-10-2013 08:12 PM

ORIGINAL: vicman

Sensi, I do quite a few Q500 wings a year as well as bulk layups of carbon. I have to turn the fridge pump down quite a bit or it will crush the core as you mentioned. The ACP pump I have is perfect for foam jobs but not quite up to task for bagging wood core tail sections.;)
Thats cool, I just didn't understand your statement, that it only pulls 8#? because that reads 8 PSI in my book equaling something like 11"-12" hg for your solid ply layups...:eek:

Bob

wyowindworks 01-10-2013 08:13 PM

It depends on the foam.  I bag XPS foam wings at 25" Hg

sensei 01-10-2013 08:17 PM

ORIGINAL: wyowindworks

It depends on the foam. I bag XPS foam wings at 25'' Hg

Agreed, I think I basically stated that in my first post.

Bob

MTK 03-01-2013 09:04 AM

ORIGINAL: wyowindworks

It depends on the foam. I bag XPS foam wings at 25" Hg

Yep, if the foam density is high enough. For <1# foam, where I play most of the time, 5-6" Hg as Bob noted is what I get away with. Maybe as much as 7-8" Hg, depending on foam firmness.I've crushed foam before when my bleeder valve sucked up a baggie and closed off. Really pissedme off.....

speedracerntrixie 03-02-2013 09:04 AM

I'm getting ready to bag the skins onto my Dalotel wings. Will most likely happen late next week. If there is interest, I will publish pictures here of the sep by step process I use. Matt, yes I did sell the other Laser. It's been finished and flown.

darren763 03-06-2013 11:40 AM

Please do It would be nice to see what other people are doing to bag wings and what your bagging system is and set up is great help also.

Darren

Donairplane 03-06-2013 06:32 PM

I would enjoy seeing how you bag a wing and your vac system!
Don

speedracerntrixie 03-16-2013 05:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I finally found time to get some wing panels sheeted. The first thing to do is tape the sheets together. I edge true them by hanging the sheets about 1/4" off the end of my bench then laying an aluminum strait edge on top of the balsa sheeting. I then sand the sheeting to the strait edge. After the sheets are tapped together and cut to size I did the cutouts for the retact and servo mount. The sheets get wetted out with epoxy, just enough to get them wet, extra epoxy will not add strength. I added some light glass cloth to sperad out the stress riser created at the end of the wing tube. The sheeting is applied to the core and placed into the shucks. The shucks and cores go into the bag. The bag can be made of plactic tarp material and sealed with latex caulking. Vacuum is pulled to about 7 inches. This will set for no less then 3 days. The theory is that the wood contains some moisture. The bagging process removes the moisture or at least ballances the moisture between the seperate balsa sheets. This will reduce the possibility of warpage later. The vacuum will also draw the epoxy into the seams of the wood sheeting.

speedracerntrixie 03-16-2013 05:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
More pics

speedracerntrixie 03-16-2013 05:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
End of pictures

k12rc 03-17-2013 04:07 AM

where did you get the vacuum switch

k12rc 03-17-2013 04:16 AM

are you guys using the hk pump or turbine fuel pump bought the hk system runs quits runs quits though it was the controller hooked to batt still the same thing