RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Composites Fabrication And Repair (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/composites-fabrication-repair-97/)
-   -   help need in fixing composite jet wing (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/composites-fabrication-repair-97/11596691-help-need-fixing-composite-jet-wing.html)

mikes68charger 03-25-2014 06:49 AM

help need in fixing composite jet wing

3 Attachment(s)
Ok guys I have been toying with the ideal of fixing my fav old school jet, and I think it can be done, but a little help from you guys will go a long way.

So its a composite wing one peace wing, with none of the wood sparing, and retract mounting block damage. Alsmost all the damage is on the leading edge, with some good peaces missing.

So I have been reading around for a few days trying to come up with a plan of attack.

The very front around 2in of the inside edge is good, and the very tip of the wing is good. So I was thinking of adding a round carbon fiber wing to the inside edge to help aline and keep everthing going the right way.

The damage is huge, but it all stops at the wood spar, So I was thinking of cutting off the really bad parts, and Expoxying foam inside the leading edges to help join the missing peaces, and let me sand the wing shape back in. Once done with the foam inserts, lay glass down with epoxy (wich one? I was thinking 30min, but I read hear it don't wet well, but I need as much structual stringth as possable)

Then once the wing is resanding, cover the whol wing in light weight glass to bring it all back togeather, and refinish.

What you think of my plan?

I have seen where some have glued balsa inside the wing to fill the gaps, but as both top and bottom parts are damaged, I was thinking of stuffing it with foam would give a good bond for both sides of the old wing to stick to.

The leading edge that was damaged, has not internal structure, it was just hollow.

I will use thin CA to glue as much back into shape as possable first.

What epoxs should I stock up on?

Thanks for any advice.

Mike

speedracerntrixie 03-25-2014 03:24 PM

Mike, I have repaired lots of hollow core wings but this is one I would consider a write off. Obviously this is based off what I can see in the pictures. If I was in a position where I had to find a way to repair it I would remove the material from the spar forward and replace that section with a balsa sheeted foam core then glass the entire wing with 1oz cloth prime and paint.

Pylonracr 03-25-2014 08:10 PM

I was thinking along the same lines. I would probably build a new wing. Repairs like this, while possible, always add a lot of weight. This is something most jets can not take. Looking at the damage, I think I would make a root template and a tip template and have foam cores cut. Add some balsa sheeting and vacuum bag and you have a wing. Be sure to throw a spar and some retract mounts in for strength. You should end up with a lighter and stronger wing. You can put 3/4 oz cloth on the wing and vacuum bag again if you plan on painting.