RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Composites Fabrication And Repair (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/composites-fabrication-repair-97/)
-   -   6" thick foam sheet source? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/composites-fabrication-repair-97/6460924-6%22-thick-foam-sheet-source.html)

Deadeye 10-07-2007 03:08 PM

6" thick foam sheet source?

Hey guys,
I'm looking for a supplier that sells foam sheets at least 6" thick, 6" across, and at least 4 foot in length. I would prefer the blue or pink type of polystyrene foam, but the white beaded foam would work OK too. It will be cut with a foam cutter and act as a jig or mold for some new design type of floats I am looking at mass producing.

Another question, the fan fold foam, or the foam boards used in school projects; is it called depron? It's less than a quarter inch thick and is covered in heavy paper on either side. Can that same foam be purchased in rolls without the paper? Can you provide me with a source for that? Thanks fellas, Randy.

Campy 10-07-2007 04:18 PM

RE: 6" thick foam sheet source?

As for your 6" thick foam, why not just get some Home Depot, Lowes, etc. 2" x 24" x 8' pieces, cut them 6" x 4' and fasten 3 of them together with carpet tape ?

I do this when I need 4" or 6" thick pieces of foam for various projects.

Just make sure you WIPE ALL the foam dust off before applying the tape. (Blowing the dust off doesn't get it all off )

I have not had any of them come apart (actually, you need to get a thin blade knife in there to separate the pieces ).

Deadeye 10-07-2007 04:24 PM

ORIGINAL: Campy

As for your 6" thick foam, why not just get some Home Depot, Lowes, etc. 2" x 24" x 8' pieces, cut them 6" x 4' and fasten 3 of them together with carpet tape ?

I do this when I need 4" or 6" thick pieces of foam for various projects.

Just make sure you WIPE ALL the foam dust off before applying the tape. (Blowing the dust off doesn't get it all off )

I have not had any of them come apart (actually, you need to get a thin blade knife in there to separate the pieces ).
I've considered thi,a nd have poly glued sheets before. My only concern is I don't know how well a hot wire cutter will go through the glued sections. I don't want any bumps.

Flypaper 2 10-07-2007 10:08 PM

Try a marina that uses them as foam billots for flotation docks. Used to buy them 8 ins. thick about 3 ft. wide and 8 ft long.

rwlewis 10-09-2007 06:44 AM

We buy from a local place in Houston called

Houston Foam Plastics
www.houstonfoam.com

I also found this place with a quick google search:
http://www.univfoam.com/

Richard

Andrew 10-10-2007 10:08 PM

ORIGINAL: Flypaper 2

Try a marina that uses them as foam billots for flotation docks. Used to buy them 8 ins. thick about 3 ft. wide and 8 ft long.
Flypaper's advice is your best bet. I've bought both beaded white foam and extruded blue foam in large billot sizes for floating boat sheds and docks. Both will cut with hot wire and smooth up with 80 grit on a board. If you need a really smooth surface, add a layer of 1 oz fiberglass cloth stuck down with WBPU, then prime and sand.

andrew

TOMMYSTA 10-12-2007 03:25 PM

I live near Green Bay WI (GO PACKERS!!!)...there is a place here that sells and would ship also...they sell 6" white foam in 24"x48" sheets packaged in 3 per bundle for around $40.00....they also sell 4" foam in 24"x48" sheets and those come in 5 sheet bundles for roughly same price....

The name of the company is called Badgerland Supply...phone # is 920-965-1924........

Tom

patternwannabee 10-12-2007 05:23 PM

If using multiple sheets to make a wide piece, the glue probably won't cut well with a hot wire.

Instead, I would hot wire first, then glue.

You could pin the sheets together with 1/4" dowels to stabilize the piece for the hot wire cutting, and when ready to glue, they'll help align the sheets together. Just be careful the dowels won't interfere with the path of the wire.

Flypaper 2 10-12-2007 06:09 PM

Epoxy won't cut with the wire but contact cement works fine.

Deadeye 10-14-2007 01:36 PM

Thanks for all the helpful tips guys!

rcjunkie-RCU 10-16-2007 10:01 AM

I've been able to 3M77 foam together and the hot wire cuts through without any problems.

Ernie S.

patternwannabee 10-16-2007 11:44 AM

Good call Flypaper.

I'll be doing this from now on.

KI8FR 10-17-2007 08:46 PM

What is contact cement?

stealth assassin 10-20-2007 06:31 AM

I have finally found a source locally for 3lb density white dense foam blocks of any size. $100.00 minimum order. I just got four 10" x 10"x 40" blocks and It Is great for carving. No web site to list but, It's just down the road from me...