Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Control Lines
Reload this Page >

3rd Annual Ringmaster Worldwide Fly-A-Thon october 2 & 3 2010

Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

3rd Annual Ringmaster Worldwide Fly-A-Thon october 2 & 3 2010

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 09:46 PM
jcralley

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 3rd Annual Ringmaster Worldwide Fly-A-Thon october 2 & 3 2010

This post is to alert you about the upcoming 3rd Annual Ringmaster Worldwide Fly-A-Thon sponsored by the Brotherhood of the Ring, a forum devoted primarily to the wonderful old time Ringmaster control line model airplanes. http://www.brotherhoodofthering.info

The Fly-A-Thon is a non-competitive event to honor the plane that many of us older modelers flew back in the 50s, 60s 70s and 80s.Any of the Ringmaster varieties can be flown for this event (S-1, S-1A, RM Junior, RM Baby, RM Sportster, etc.)!! Simply stated, we want to see how many Ringmaster flights can be recorded over a single weekend, the first weekend in October (10/2-4/2010). Our goal is to have a thousand flights over that weekend. Last year we recorded 288 flights in half a dozen different countries worldwide so we have a long way to go! The simple rules are stated below and I want to direct particular attention to the last paragraph.

If you are also a RC club member, you are no doubt aware that many younger RC pilots have never seen control line models fly nor have they attempted to fly a control line model. It would be educational fun for the uninitiated, if your RC club would set aside a circle in a corner of your field and you could use a Ringmaster to put up some flights. More fun yet if some of your members have a try at flying a Ringmaster for an initial control line solo. It doesn’t have to be for a FULL tank of fuel – most new pilots will get dizzy after a minute or two. Give this some thought. It could make for an interesting event at your club. Poll your members at the next meeting or flying session and find out what they think about this event.

Control line clubs can hold a special “fly-in” that weekend to participate in the Fly-A-Thon! Your control line club should be able to put up a large number of flights. Even if you are at a contest that weekend bring a Ringmaster and put up some flights in the practice circle or at the end of the day.

Individual fliers, get together with friends and record some Ringmaster flights!!

There are no prizes only bragging rights!!

The PDF file attached below is for a Ringmaster Fly-A-Thon flier/poster which you can download and print. Feel free to distribute the flier to your local hobby shop, fellow control line fliers and anyone else that you think would be interested. It can easily be attached to an email.

Please join the fun.John Cralley

Here are the rules:

On October 2 & 3, 2010 we challenge you to fly any one or more of the many Ringmasters, old or new, and report your flights to:

Deadline for reporting is 12:00 noon Eastern Daylight time (USA) Tuesday October 5, 2010

Please report how many different Ringmasters flew, how many total Ringmaster flights were made and the location of these flights.You may also report how many different pilots flew, how many Ringmasters were flown at the same time and what type of Ringmasters were flown.Also, if you get someone new to solo on a Ringmaster, that flight will count as 2 flights! The more, the merrier! Let us know how many new solo flights we have too! If this will help promote new fliers by flying the same plane so many of us started with, this would be a bonus!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Lj23820.pdf (223.7 KB, 27 views)
Old 09-11-2010, 07:39 AM
mathison205

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 3rd Annual Ringmaster Worldwide Fly-A-Thon october 2 & 3 2010

in las vegas we will be flying at vo-teck high. we start at 7 am.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:17 AM
jcralley

Mathison205 Wrote:

"In Las Vegas we will be flying at vo-teck high. we start at 7 am. "

Great!! Is that Saturday the 2nd or Sunday the 3rd or BOTH???

We expect a bunch of flights from Las Vegas. Will you be flying 1000 sq  inch Ringmaster that Larry Marx built??? That would be sight to see!!

John
Old 09-11-2010, 01:35 PM
cutaway

I have 4 airworthy RM's right now. With Enya .19, Fox Stunt .35, Fox .25, and one with a ST G34 (which runs like a raped ape on plain FAI fuel). The one with the Enya .19 actually flies the best because its the lightest of the bunch.

I just gave another one with a McCoy .35 to a flying buddy.
Old 09-11-2010, 03:06 PM
jcralley

That is great Cutaway,

Get together with you flying buddies and put up a bunch of flights on Oct 2-3 and send us your report!!

John

PS: Here is a link to a You Tube video by Larry Marx using photos taken at the Annual Ringmaster Roundup this Spring in Houston, TX. We almost got rained out but pulled it all together on Sunday. Enjoy!! That's me holding my electric Baby Ringmaster almost at the end of the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C_Fav-rwRg
Old 09-11-2010, 08:16 PM
mathison205

yes we will be flying both days and planes are 207 to 1000 sq. in. rings
Old 09-11-2010, 09:13 PM
jcralley

Get some video clips and photos to share!!

Last year's record is sure to fall!! Hope you all have a ball!! Maybe you can fly the 207 and the 1000 sq inch at the same time.

John
Old 09-14-2010, 06:46 PM
mathison205

at some point i am sure we will have a go at flying them all at once. larry will be the video and picture taking guy. i have 2 s-1 rings that have new small tanks and plan on flying them with larry's s-1 at the same time just like a racing event. i think we can get in 3 flights every 10 min. per plane that is 54 flights per hour so we do that for 2 hours ( rotating pilots of course ) and that we give you 108 flights. i think we will need about nine pilots to do this. if it is as windy this year as it was last year then we will be lucky to get in 10 flights. i hope we have good weather both sat. and sun got three gallons of fuel ready to burn.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:50 PM
jcralley

Wow,

Wish I could be there!! I'll be on Mackinaw Island, Michigan flying my electric Baby Ringmaster.

It looks like this year is going to shape up to be the best Ringmaster Fly-A-Thon ever!!

Here is to FAIR weather, LIGHTwinds and LOADSof fun!!!

John
Old 09-15-2010, 12:55 AM
DaveSR71

Assembled a Torp GH .15 for bits and pieces to go on a Jr Ringmaster
Doggone thing runs really well. Airplane will not be ready in time but NEXT YEAR!

David
Old 09-15-2010, 06:46 AM
mathison205

glad you will be enjoying ringmasters again.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:27 AM
brightmix
Banned

weak he muddled “Do what's right for you, as long as it don't hurt no one”...