Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Brodak 25 engine

Old 09-30-2010, 07:27 PM
Gungadin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brodak 25 engine

Hi all

I'm in the process of returning to C/L flying after a 33 year lay off. I just purchased an airplane and I need a 25 size engine or there abouts. What I want to know is the Brodak 25 any good. I know it's light weight, but wonder about its quality and power output. Some say it has the same power as the old Fox 35, and that's OK by me. So you guys that actually have experience with this particular engine, tell me how it compares to other similar size engines, like the OS25la or Enya 25ss if you know. If you do not have actual experience running the Brodak 25 on an airplane, then please keep your opinions to your self. I want to hear from guys with flying experience on this engine.

I'm all ears ![:-]
Old 10-07-2010, 09:16 PM
Gungadin

Default RE: Brodak 25 engine

N E V E R M I N D !!![]
Old 10-07-2010, 10:05 PM
cutaway

I have an old Enya .19 that flies a Ringmaster very well. Anything Enya makes is pretty good. The LA's are cheap commodity engines that produce mediocre/acceptable power. I'd look for a good/NIB older OS FP .25 if you wanted an OS. The FP preceded the LA's and seem to be better made engines.

If you're willing to break it in properly and run the right fuel in it, the old Fox .35 will outlast most newer engines. I've got a couple with many hundreds of hours on them still running fine. In a pinch, I've used 10% nitro Morgan Omega with a full pint of Caster added to it in the Fox and got acceptable results.

I've never seen a Brodak in person.

Almost any modern .25 will struggle turning a 10x6 or 10x5 the old Fox's have no problem with (exception might be the Enya .25D diesel). Depending on the plane you intend to fly it in, a faster spinning .25 turning a 8" or 9" prop isn't going to perform as well as something that can turn a 10" prop. The Fox .35 weighs only 6.5 oz (minus muffler) too. Some of the newer BB .25's are closer to 8oz.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:43 AM
Kiwi

ORIGINAL: cutaway

I've never seen a Brodak in person.

Almost any modern .25 will struggle turning a 10x6 or 10x5 the old Fox's have no problem with (exception might be the Enya .25D diesel). Depending on the plane you intend to fly it in, a faster spinning .25 turning a 8" or 9" prop isn't going to perform as well as something that can turn a 10" prop. The Fox .35 weighs only 6.5 oz (minus muffler) too. Some of the newer BB .25's are closer to 8oz.
So far, the only Brodak engine that I've seen is my own 40. It seems to be a decent engine; whether that means the 15 & 25 are as good isn't clear to me.

I do have a sizable number of Asian Rim 25s I collected from eBay when first experiementing with power choices for the Speed Limit CLCombat events, and as already noted, the LA 25 is on the puny side of the power range, while the SF and FX are outstanding engines, and the FP is a fine middle of the class choice. The Magnum 25 is another good one, although slightly heavy for the class. In most cases, they swing 9-4s very well at steady speeds that work well for CL sport and stunt flying (I use 8-3s and 8-4s for SL combat).

The only proviso with any of those I've played around with, is that the OS Schneurle 25s need the same high oil content fuels that the 35s and 40s do, to control a tendency to wind up under certain circumstances (the LAs do not seem to do that, but it's because the boost port in the cylinder sleeve was omitted, almost certainly, which is also why they are down on power at the top end of the rpm range). With a 9-4, and an oily fuel, the FP 25 has a power surplus that overmatches the old Fox 35 Stunt engine, no matter what prop you try to use on that one.

In the past, I have also substituted the Series 200 Veco 19 for a Fox 35 on sport type and smaller stunt models (up to the Sig Twister's size) with good results, also using 9-4s, but that engine worked quite well with 10-4s as well. I wouldn't rate its power output any higher than the Fox Stunt 35, but it is easier for me to needle than I've felt that a Fox is.

Although I own a few of the OSMax FP 20 engines that some west coast CL people are so very fond of, and go on and on about the virtues of, my own personal experience with them has been that they seem very picky about the fuel tank you try to use when they are mounted sideways on a profile model (although I may try one with a bladder for a newer Super-Slow SL event), and the 25s are much less persnickety with hard tanks, anyway.

Old 10-08-2010, 10:11 PM
uliner
My Feedback: (2)

I used one for short time worked well. A very light motor. Easy on fuel.
Old 10-16-2010, 07:31 AM
qazimoto
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: Gungadin

Hi all

I'm in the process of returning to C/L flying after a 33 year lay off. I just purchased an airplane and I need a 25 size engine or there abouts. What I want to know is the Brodak 25 any good. I know it's light weight, but wonder about its quality and power output. Some say it has the same power as the old Fox 35, and that's OK by me. So you guys that actually have experience with this particular engine, tell me how it compares to other similar size engines, like the OS25la or Enya 25ss if you know. If you do not have actual experience running the Brodak 25 on an airplane, then please keep your opinions to your self. I want to hear from guys with flying experience on this engine.

I'm all ears ![:-]
I have a few of the Brodak 25, and I love 'em. Takes a bit to run them in but they are in my opinion much better quality than the Asian equivalents. They're also lighter and more powerful. They are used as Classic B class Team Race motors as well, an indication of their quality.

See: http://clamf.aerosports.net.au/categ...elopment-4.htm

There's not much more to say. For general c/l flying just follow the instructions for running in and then bolt it in the model. If there's a problem contact John Brodak for service.

Good luck,

Ray
Old 10-24-2010, 11:56 AM
Gungadin

Ray

Reminds me of the time when T/R airplanes looked like "real airplanes". Very nice.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:53 PM
tejician1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been in the hobby since the late 40's and recently purchased a Brodak 25 and proceeded to break it in as per instructions...the engine has proven to be very easy to hand/flip start, similar to my old Super Tigres...also has low vibration levels....... The engine seems to produce very good, consistent power similar to a FOX 35. The B-25 is mounted in a TF Flite Streak which previously had a carefully massaged OS 25 FP installed...The B-25 really hauls the mail in the Streak now . I would not hesitate buying or owning more Brodak engines in the future, they are of excellent quality and worth the price...they look kinda sexy too..... [8D]
Old 08-23-2011, 08:55 AM
cumulusone

......................do you know where to read more Brodak engine information or reviews

thanks

C
Old 11-19-2011, 02:04 PM
ferocious

The Brodak 40 is a very good STUNT engine. It fits the same mounts as an OS 40 or LA40-46. Has a bit more power than a Fox Stunt 35 and has an excellent 4 cycle run. In fact, it takes some doing to get it to run well flat out in a 2 cycle.

The Brodak 25 is more of a sport engine. It is the lightest 25 available and, depending on the venturi size, has comparable power to any of the other 25's. It likes to rev and it doesn't do as well in a 4-2 stunt run.

The Brodak 15 is a good sport engine. Similar to the LA 15. It is not a powerhouse, but handles 3 ft. or so plane nicely.

They all have a bit of a muffler problem in that the mounting bolts screw into the engine. In a crash they are more prone to breaking the rear part of the exhaust port.